Vertical Response. Awesome.

This blog post is over 11 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

I got some spam earlier today from someone who used Vertical Response’s mail service to send it out. On occasion, if I think the mail provider might actually do something about it, I’ll report the message. That’s what I did with this one.

Most of the time I’ll get a form letter back from some autoresponder telling me that they’ll look into it but that they can’t give me any specifics. That’s the mediocre response I was expecting here, too.

Instead, George and Vertical Response blew me away. (emphasis added below)

First, let me apologize that you encountered this kind of problem with a company using our service. That is simply unacceptable. I have opened a full investigation into the account as a result of your complaint. We have no tolerance for the sending of unsolicited mail, and we will not allow this sort of behavior to continue. I can verify that your address has been unsubscribed from their account with us.

Nice to see a little customer service in the world.

Josh Morgan
December 16, 2008 4:41 PM

Nice to see a company reacting well. They should get serious props for a solid response.

December 16, 2008 4:44 PM

And they're kicking ass on Twitter, too. http://twitter.com/VR4SmallBiz Posted a note about this blog post on twitter and they responded. Looking through their twitter stream, they seem like a business doing twitter right.

sean
December 17, 2008 1:55 AM

I call that an Appropriate Response.

Jeremy Meyers
December 26, 2008 9:33 AM

This kinda reminds me of Chris Rock's bit about guys who pay their child support and use that to show what good fathers they are. You're SUPPOSED to pay child support.

Mark Coffey
July 29, 2009 12:40 PM

I just got the same response from them - word for word. Good form letter. Almost had me fooled too. Vertical Response still suck.

July 29, 2009 1:22 PM

Of course it's a form letter. There's nothing wrong with having templates for your common communications. That doesn't make the customer service any less excellent.

LD
August 6, 2009 2:23 PM

I got spam from them too, and got the same form letter. Considering spammers are obviously using their service quite a bit, I don't see how customer service makes up for it.

Rachel
January 21, 2011 5:29 PM

Oh look, they're automated e-mail hasn't changed in three years, and neither have their practices. Here's an e-mail I received from a similary complaint to these fools today: "Hello, First, let me apologize that you encountered this kind of problem with a company using our service. That is simply unacceptable. I have opened a full investigation into the Amazon.com/Amazon Services account as a result of your complaint. We have no tolerance for the sending of unsolicited mail, and we will not allow this sort of behavior to continue. I can verify that your address has been unsubscribed from their account with us. Please also note that VerticalResponse does not maintain mailing lists of any sort for sale, rent, distribution or any other purpose. We are an Email Service Provider, companies use our service to send email the same way an individual might email someone through Yahoo. Our clients provide the addresses (limited to their own use) and must sign an agreement that everyone on their list requested information directly and specifically from their company - meaning no purchased, rented, borrowed, harvested or third party lists of any kind are allowed under any circumstances whatsoever. Clients who violate this policy are banned. We hate spam and work extremely hard to keep it off our network. Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention, and please let me know if you have any comments, concerns or questions. All my direct contact info is below. Sincerely, George Sukara Email Delivery & Policy Enforcement VerticalResponse, Inc. abuse@verticalresponse.com 501 Second Street, suite 700 San Francisco, CA 94107" Next time I'll save my breath, add the company that unadvisedly used their services to my List Of Companies Never To Use Again, create a message rule to delete future crap, and forget about it. Someone really needs to put these spamming idiots in jail, but until that day my spam filter can at least deal with the consequences of their anti-social actions.

Principles of Developer Experience: An Introduction (Sep 15)
You can create a great developer experience for everything you build. Introducing the six principles of developer experience.
The KPI that measures Product-Market Fit (Sep 9)
If you ask this question to a different small group of your users every week, you can measure trends over time to determine if you're moving toward product-market fit.
Don't use NPS to measure user happiness for enterprise software (Sep 7)
Measuring the satisfaction and enjoyment of end users is a key to unlocking product-led growth. Net Promoter Score is the wrong tool for this.
Ask One Question To Help You Reach Product-Market Fit (Sep 3)
Learn what adjacent problems you need to solve to become twice as valuable to your customers.
How to scale your product team from one product manager to an entire organization (Aug 25)
As your product management team scales, you'll have issues around redundancy, communication, and consistency. Here's now you might solve those.
Software engineering manager interview questions (Aug 6)
Here are some questions I like to use to get a sense of who an engineering manager is and how they work.
A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.