Business lessons from the Kitchen

This blog post is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

I’ve become hooked on Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares, the BBC show where restaurateur Gordon Ramsay spends a week with a struggling restaurant, trying to turn it around. It’s a show full of business lessons, from finding a market, to pricing, to product presentation, to accounting.

I’m going to be pulling some of the quotes from the show and posting them here over the next few days. Today’s is...

Don’t put your ego before your customers.

Said to an award winning chef who’s fancy pretentious menu and sky high prices scared away customers.

Michael Buckbee
June 9, 2008 9:12 PM

I'll second your recommendation for the show. I was surprised to find the BBC version so focused on the business aspects of things vs the more emotional "Hells Kitchen" version of the Food Network show.

Josh
June 16, 2008 3:11 PM

I completely agree, hence the name of my blog "Don't Eat the Shrimp." This is from my first employer who had the rule that at client receptions employees weren't allowed to touch the shrimp trays until the clients were all gone.

Nichole
June 27, 2008 7:59 AM

I have been quite impressed on how the BBC shows have really closed ground from what they used to be. I remember watching many of their shows with my parents like who's line is it and they always put out quality shows if you were willing to sacrifice resolution and the camera work the states are used to. I have taken to this show as well and have heard of a few more that will be coming out soon. have you heard of ashton kutcher buying a BBc show?

Elaine
July 19, 2008 11:21 AM

That quote is very good advice, no matter what the business! Thanks for sharing!

Stephen Baugh
August 17, 2008 4:29 PM

Love the show to ... of all the people I'd love to spend some time with Gordon would be one of the.

Joachim
August 18, 2008 2:57 AM

Thanks for sharing this business! so ling joachim

Dave
November 11, 2008 11:55 AM

This should be posted up in every office especially all call centers. Customer service is often preached, but seems to be less and less practiced. By the way I have heard of this show, and tried finding it, but later realized comcast does not carry BBC in my area :(

Lenen
December 15, 2008 7:59 AM

Besides the fact that he's extremely funny he does have a perfect business perspective. One of the most important elements of small business success, is the distinguishing quality of practicing admirable business ethics. He teaches them to purify the heart and soul of the company's culture by getting them back to the roots.

The Trap of The Sales-Led Product (Dec 10)
It’s not a winning way to build a product company.
The Hidden Cost of Custom Customer Features (Dec 7)
One-off features will cost you more than you think and make your customers unhappy.
Domain expertise in Product Management (Nov 16)
When you're hiring software product managers, hire for product management skills. Looking for domain experts will reduce the pool of people you can hire and might just be worse for your product.
Strategy Means Saying No (Oct 27)
An oft-overlooked aspect of strategy is to define what you are not doing. There are lots of adjacent problems you can attack. Strategy means defining which ones you will ignore.
Understanding vision, strategy, and execution (Oct 24)
Vision is what you're trying to do. Strategy is broad strokes on how you'll get there. Execution is the tasks you complete to complete the strategy.
How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.

© 1999-2022 Adam Kalsey.