SSH on my iPhone - easy

This blog post is over 13 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

SSH on my iPhone I’d been wanting to play with some of the cool iPhone hacks, but most of the tools available are for Intel Macs. For the next few months, I’m still using a G4 PowerBook, so I’d been stymied. Using Nullriver’s Installer.app, however, I’ve been able to install several apps, including a VT100 terminal and OpenSSH.

You can’t use the SSH client to do any serious work—if you switch away from the terminal app your session closes. That means if your phone rings in the midst of a session, you’re done. But for emergency use out on the road, you can’t beat an SSH client in your pocket.

Brad Choate
August 23, 2007 2:45 PM

if you switcha way from the terminal app your session closes. I recommend using screen on the server you're connecting to so the session is at least preserved on that end.

David Hopkins
September 14, 2007 3:59 AM

Impressive. Shame about the hang up. It certainly is a useful thing to have when your not in front of a computer.

Kai
April 9, 2008 12:27 PM

Connect and type 'screen -S iphone', then do your work. If you get disconnected, reconnect and type 'screen -R iphone' and pick up where you left off. If you are doing serious work over ANY WiFi connection and aren't using screen, you are asking for it. My laptop has dropped connection from the WAP during various crucial tasks on my Linux server, but screen has saved me from having a mess on my hands several times.

April 9, 2008 12:36 PM

It's not so much having the processes keep running when I get disconnected. The thing that drags on me is the process of reconnecting. I'm hesitant to add ssh keys to my iphone. And typing complex passwords is a pain in the ass.

Sebastien
April 19, 2008 5:06 PM

I'm a big fan of the SSH function. I use it on a daily basis, mostly to change backgrounds or to upload pdf docs to my phone.

Richard Metcalfe
June 18, 2008 2:34 PM

Hi, this sure seams to be a handy touch, hopefully they brink out an upgrade which stores what your doing if you have a Pone call.

none
August 6, 2008 1:30 AM

Im having a problem using screen. I want to be able to close my connection, but am unable to because I can't use ctrl+a d or figure out a way to close the ssh app. Any suggestions?

Abz
August 14, 2008 5:49 PM

same prob, i can initiate a connection with something, but come close it , im screwed.. any help is appreciated !

Sam Logon
November 21, 2008 3:06 AM

Did anyone ever solve these issues?

ixi
September 3, 2009 10:28 PM

"swipe" up towards the top right for about an inch, it'll give you the ctrl+c sequence, also type exit in ssh to exit the ssh session.

How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.
Developer Experience Principle 5: Easy to Trust (Oct 9)
A developer building part of their business on your product needs to believe that you're going to do the right thing for them and their customers.
Developer Experience Principle 4: Easy to Get Help (Oct 8)
The faster you can unblock a stuck developer, the better their experience will be.
Developer Experience Principle 3: Easy to Build (Oct 5)
A product makes it Easy to Build by focusing on productivity for developers building real-world applications.
How to understand your product and your market (Sep 30)
A customer development question you can ask to find out who your product is best for and why they'll love it.
Developer Experience Principle 2: Easy to Use (Sep 28)
Making it Easy to Use means letting the developer do everything without involving you.