Free FON router

This article is over 13 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

To increase their user base, FON has tried a number of things, including selling them for $5 and giving a bunch away on the streets of San Francisco. Now they’re giving existing FON customers the ability to invite their friends into the network. Invited friends get a free account. I’ve been running a FON router for a few months and have three invitations for free La Fonera routers.

en_logoFon.png La Fonera is slightly larger than a deck of playing cards and has a single antenna. Installing it is simple. Plug in power and connect the single ethernet port to your existing home network or broadband modem. You’ll find two different wireless networks, a private net and the open public net. The setup will ask a few configuration questions and you’re then online.

My Fonera router interferes with the 2.4 Ghz cordless phone on my desk. I hear a constant quiet clicking sound any time La Fonera is turned on. Two other wireless routers sitting in the same place on the desk do not cause this interference. A question to FON about this problem has gone unanswered for well over a week.

Fon might be a good way for you to add wifi to a location that doesn’t already have one. I’ve added wifi points at several family members houses so I can have access when I’m there. Installing a La Fonera router would have been a cheaper and easier way to do this. The cordless phone interference is a concern however.

J5
December 23, 2006 9:57 AM

Hi. It' possible to have one Fonera invitation? Thanks...

December 27, 2006 3:49 PM

Sorry, folks, I'm not giving out routers. I was simply reporting on FON's new marketing ploy.

mike
February 9, 2007 5:33 PM

have you tried changing the wireless channel on either the phone and/or the access point?

rob
February 19, 2007 11:36 AM

i have no internet connection at home but will i be able to access the internet at home if i had the la fonera router

bigmini
February 22, 2007 2:51 PM

Fon Is meant to piggy back on your existing Internet connection so the answer is no, but if you would like an invite for the free router drop me an email @ Gmail bigmincooper I have one invite to give away

lkjlkjljkjkl
February 22, 2007 4:10 PM

Fon is just a gimmick for a new profit-seeking company. If you want to contribute to the society that you live in, work towards a truly free internet community. It is simple to take the fon technology and build a new, more free technology on top of it. Watch for this. The rhetoric of the fon "movimiento" is pure bs, and you shouldn't buy into it. Don't be another sucker!

wookie of happiness
April 13, 2007 3:33 PM

make the fon not-suck by slapping on DD-WRT firmware instead http://dd-wrt.com

Software engineering manager interview questions (Aug 6)
Here are some questions I like to use to get a sense of who an engineering manager is and how they work.
A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?