Blogger.com feeds deemed annoying

This article is over 13 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

If you use Blogger.com for your blog, you’ve just lost a subscriber. Sorry, I really liked your content, but the constant and random switches that Blogger makes between full and partial feeds has finally broken my will.

Several times a day I end up with dozens of "new" items in my reader simply because the feed contents changed from a full to a partial feed or vice versa. For a while, I just told my reader not to re-display updated feed items, but it seemed that every time a feed was actually updated, Blogger decided to show a partial item.

Blogger was a pioneer—even I used Blogger for a year shortly after starting this blog. But it seems that Google’s ignoring their acquisition. Things aren’t getting better, they’re getting worse.

BillSaysThis
September 20, 2006 4:53 PM

My feed is not showing this problem, so it's probably just from beta blogs.

Bryan Price
September 20, 2006 7:05 PM

That's interesting. I've noticed the same thing happening, I just didn't realize that it was Blogger blogs doing this. I use Blogger myself, but I haven't seen anything like that happening with my feed. Of course I subscribe to it myself. How many times have I caught an error that way! :-D And yes, I do find that annoying.

ivv
September 20, 2006 9:35 PM

Sucks. Blogger indeed seems to be in the state of deep neglect and one can only hope Google treats its other pet projects better. On the other hand, I wonder whether the reader isn't to blame, at least to a degree. I'm monitoring my own Blogger blogs with Omea and don't remember having these kinds of problems.

Graham
September 21, 2006 2:54 AM

It's about time someone pointed this out. Blogger is not reader friendly at all. This is true for both the site itself as well as the feed. Not only does it seem to switch between full and partial it also seems to arbitrarily decide when it wants to include images or not. I absolutely hate it. Regarding the site itself...the comment system absolutely sucks and no trackbacks (although fewer bloggers seem to be using trackbacks these days anyway). And get rid of that damn bar on top of the page. Does anyone use that feature? Unfortunately most bloggers in my genre seem to use blogger, therefore I will grin and bear it. Thanks for giving me this space to rant along with you.

Jason Lancaster
September 22, 2006 12:33 PM

Huh. Odd that I have not seen this behavior in my blogger reads. Is this actually every blogger user you read?

Ashish C.
September 26, 2006 3:48 AM

I have a blogger blog and it shows the same problem, Blogger was once a leader in the blogging world but right now its in a period of self-stagnation. WordPress is much better....

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.