Browser size hijacking

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Anyone know of a Firefox extension (or have a handy greasemonkey script) that will prevent web sites from changing the size of my browser window?

Whether the work of arrogant web designers who apparently know better than me what size my browser should be set to, or designers to lazy and stupid to embrace the medium they’re designing for, these sites that take over aspects of my browsing preferences and change the way I choose to view the web.

I’ve had enough and I’d like a way to stop them.

DarkWulf
March 29, 2006 11:28 PM

Well, unless things have changed, its an actual preference in Firefox for me. (Mind you, I'm using an older version) So... tools->options, then web features, and theres an "advanced" button next to the enable javascript checkbox. In the popup that button spawns theres a list of checkboxes and one of the checkboxes is for "move/resize windows". Uncheck. smile.

March 29, 2006 11:39 PM

Okay, I need to be more specific. Pop-up windows should be allowed to resize. Windows I open should not.

Jemaleddin
March 30, 2006 8:00 AM

Well, javascript windows that are opened at a given size will still work - they just can't change size. I only know of a few sites that are dynamically sizing javascript popups after they load - and I sure wish they'd quit it.

BillSaysThis
March 30, 2006 8:22 AM

The very first option in the Enable JavaScript Advanced dialog on the Content tab of FF 1.5.x Options specifies if JS should be able to resize _existing_ windows. Isn't that what you want?

Clay Loveless
March 30, 2006 3:32 PM

For those using Firefox on Mac OS X, you'd check in Preferences -> Content Next to the Enable JavaScript checkbox, click the Advanced ... button. In the sheet that drops down, uncheck "Allow scripts to Move or resize existing windows"

Chris
April 3, 2006 5:33 PM

try this in the address bar type 'about:config' in the filter type 'resiz' (note no e) try changeing the values of dom.disable_window_move_resize dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable I dont know if this will help, dont know a page i can test it on.

Nick
April 14, 2006 6:33 AM

Chris was right. Change dom.disablewindowopenfeature.resizable to true

adam
April 24, 2008 10:52 AM

nice!! Changing dom.disablewindowopenfeature.resizable to true worked!!! Great find! Thanks

Software engineering manager interview questions (Aug 6)
Here are some questions I like to use to get a sense of who an engineering manager is and how they work.
A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?