Sticking Spacebar on my PowerBook

This blog post is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

The space bar on my PowerBook has been sticking as long as I can remember — perhaps it came like that, I don’t recall. The key only travelled about halfway down; sometimes it added a space, sometimes it didn’t. I tried all the various recomendations I’d found online: vaccuuming the keyboard, shaking it upside down, and a few other odd ones. Nothing worked.

Today I got annoyed with it enough that I just pushed down really hard. I heard a “crack” and a bunch of spaces appeared on the screen. The spacebar now works just fine. Whatever was causing it to stick has been broken, pulverized, pushed aside, or otherwise rendered harmless.

I don’t know why it worked, what was causing it to stick, or if you’ll have the same results. If you choose this course of action, you’re on your own. If your keyboard breaks or your laptop begins to emit a foul odor, don’t hold me responsible.

Hugh
February 13, 2006 9:04 AM

I've had my infant son pull the keys off my keyboard and few times and had to perform the push-crack a few times as well. I've noticed that there is a hook for part of the connector that should be slid underneath first.

Aaron
August 12, 2006 9:43 PM

The push-down-really-hard method works miracles.

tom
August 28, 2006 12:09 PM

hey i just did the same thing and it worked. awesome. thanks for the advice. this is a dell though, so it must work for all sticky laptop space bars.

James
October 13, 2006 6:38 PM

You have rediscovered the fix we used to apply to ADM-3's back in the day.

jim
March 14, 2007 11:51 PM

wow just tried the push really hard and it's seemed to completely fix my problem. the spacebar feels really smooth!

Bob
January 10, 2008 12:31 AM

My Left arrow key has been sticking for a while, this method hasn't 100% cured the key, but it operating at a nice 90%. Thanks a lot Adam and your Neanderthalian logic!

Anon
October 22, 2008 6:37 AM

My space bar is now cured! Such a simple thing for a really annoying problem! Thanks

Karen
October 12, 2009 8:43 PM

Yeap! This amazing technique works :-) Thanks!

Devon Mercurious
March 4, 2010 2:13 PM

I have a powerbook G4 This is my problem My spacebar wnt work at all except I press the command or ap[ple key while pressing it then it work how do i correct this ? Thanks Guys

sam
June 30, 2011 8:00 PM

Yeeeaaah i tried it, i dont have to press as hard but still hard enough to anger me lol

sam
June 30, 2011 8:00 PM

How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.
Developer Experience Principle 5: Easy to Trust (Oct 9)
A developer building part of their business on your product needs to believe that you're going to do the right thing for them and their customers.
Developer Experience Principle 4: Easy to Get Help (Oct 8)
The faster you can unblock a stuck developer, the better their experience will be.
Developer Experience Principle 3: Easy to Build (Oct 5)
A product makes it Easy to Build by focusing on productivity for developers building real-world applications.
How to understand your product and your market (Sep 30)
A customer development question you can ask to find out who your product is best for and why they'll love it.
Developer Experience Principle 2: Easy to Use (Sep 28)
Making it Easy to Use means letting the developer do everything without involving you.