Blackberry 7100 problems

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I bought a Blackberry 7100 from Cingular back in April. In July the wireless email stopped working and the techs at Cingular couldn’t get it going again, so Cingular replaced the phone. Everything went fine until a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the audio kept cutting out as people were talking to me. They could hear me fine, but I was hearing about every other word when they spoke. Today, it quit completely. I can hear nothing at all through my phone.

The phone’s still under warranty, and Cingular’s replacing it, but i’ve got a feeling of foreboding. How long before this replacement stops working too? They can keep replacing it every few months but eventually it will be out of warranty. Cingular won’t trade the phone for something else, so I’ve emailed RIM to see if they’ll help out.

MSA
June 15, 2007 6:47 AM

I have a 7100 with Enterprise server with 9 BB in total. We have had headaches since day one with the 7100 esp with Outlook Date/appointments syncing and dropped calls left and right, and half the time the person on the other end cant hear you unless you scream. I find the phone to be flawed in design and had I used my money to buy it would have been back in less than a month to replace it with something different and in fact that is what we are doing here after almost a year of suffering with these things. We are going to upgrade to the pearl so I hope its better because right now the only reason I like BB is because my work pays for it not because it works.

Joe
June 26, 2007 10:46 AM

My wife's BB battery quickly (month after purch) started losing charge until it no longer held one. After going to several provider locations (Franchise stores) and getting incorrect info. The provider company store service showed her the red water indicator. She does not know of any water getting on her case let alone in the phone for the month she had it. Does anyone know of a problem with a false water damage indication?

David
July 20, 2007 8:06 AM

Joe, Any contact with moisture, any contact at all shows a white dot, spot or black spot. Its called humidity. I tried to get my verizon battery replaced as well. I live where it's very humid and that alone can cause that issue.

Larry Miller
September 12, 2007 6:24 PM

Lynn, I am haveing that same issue and I think that Joes problem may be related to this as well. For a year or more I have noticed that my battery, which I replaced three times was often dead by noon or at the latest early afternoon. My boss has the same BB I have and he got his the same day. His battery always seemed good. I work at a college and we seldom if ever get to see our monthly bill, but my boss was always telling me I used more minutes than everyone else. I was always getting complaints from my wife and other people that I was butt dialing them. So I made a real effort to always lock my phone. Nothing more would be said for several months and then again my boss might say something like how come you use so many minutes. I was very confused and thought I was going stupid or something. I felt sure I was locking that dang keyboard. Recently I had to review some Bills to determine what our carrier was charging per minute and when I saw my minutes I almost fainted. Our college wont replace any our phones so I really was in a jam. I removed all my speed dials, and changed my number, I mean I tried everything I can think of to get those minutes down. I knew I wasnt really calling all those numbers. Today I tried something new, I entered just one speed dial in for a job I was doing with another work friend. We hade to call each other several times while troubleshooting between buildings. Man did I get a suprise.my phone even when locked was dialing him over and over. 17 time in fact until I heard that old familiar low battery Beep. I would be standing there talking to some other co-workers and sure enough we would hear a voicemail message talking at us. So Joe if your battery is always going dead like mine you might want to check your minutes of use. I would love to know if anyone else has found a cure for this. I even pulled the battery out and after I replaced it it started again. I really neede this phone for work but yeoww you should see my minutes. Any help at all would be appreciated.

cindy
September 20, 2007 1:36 PM

I have a BB7100 and since I came back from America it only searches for the network and eventually fine none. Can anyone help.

iqra
October 28, 2007 5:54 PM

hi ,can anybody help me i have this damn blackberry that dosen't even turn on it is bb 7100v when i plug it in comp red light comes up and if i turn it on it has that wait sign i dont know what is wrong with it can anybody help thanx

John
November 8, 2007 3:12 PM

Hey folks...it's not the blackberry that's your problem. Your problem is one of two things- 1. Your provider (sbc, cingular, att) have horrible customer service, bad reception and are by far the worst cell company. 2. Read your instruction manual and chech the net for help. Your blackberry is like a mini-laptop, figure it out! Geez. To sum up- it's your service provider or you!!!!

Ian
January 8, 2008 9:10 PM

Wow John. Thanks! that was absolutely no help whatsoever.

Jason
February 10, 2008 9:28 AM

My blackberry 7100g freezes when I attempt to edit my profiles. I.e. My handset will freeze when I go to change option.....loud. In all actuality my profiles do not work at all my phone no longer rings and only vibrates when it wants to! Help!!

Caron
February 29, 2008 1:15 PM

I have a Nextel BB 7100i - in the last month it constantly drops calls. Actually it turns itself off but only when I'm using the phone. I have to turn the wireless back on and then I get an email that says that my wireless handheld is now registered . This email appears everytime after it turns itself off (and I turn it back on). Just about every call is dropped. Battery is charged - signal is strong. No one can tell me what the problem is. Nextel even replaced my phone - same problem. Help!!

Efren
April 10, 2008 9:07 AM

I have a blackberry that was making calls on it's own right from the moment i purchased it, I purchased the phone and a phone pouch with the megnetic flap closure, I was about to return my phone after 2 weeks when I discovered that my phone was affected by the magnetic flap, I removed the 4 magnets from the pouch flap and my phone has not made a call on it's own since.

Kevin
April 24, 2008 3:38 PM

Just started having massive problems with my 7100g. Customer service at Cingular and at Blackberry of no help. Seems like a scam.

Peter Njuguna
September 4, 2008 4:42 AM

Am in Kenya and my BB 7100 battery only last for 4 to 6 hours only even after replacing the battery. Can someone help me.

terry thompson
June 30, 2010 6:31 PM

my blackberry is not working like to know if is the battery a red light comming on it can some let what to do

terry thompson
June 30, 2010 6:31 PM

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 25 comments here.

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.