Those poor NBA players

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

The NBA has said they’ll be instituting a dress code for players who are at the game but not in uniform. Rather than the jeans, ball caps, and button-up shirts you often see on the bench, the NBA would like the players to wear a jacket and tie. Presumably this is to improve the image of the players and the league, but some of the players are against it.

Marcus Camby is playing the poverty card, saying that if the league wants the players to dress a certain way, they should pay the players to do so. Apparently Camby has forgotten that basketball is already paying him $45 million dollars.

And in the most desparate “think of the children” cry I’ve ever seen, Allen Iverson has suggested that wearing business suits would send the wrong message to kids. That’s because the kids would feel bad when they don’t get to wear the same clothing to school that their favorite NBA players wear courtside.

Noah
October 12, 2005 2:35 PM

Think of the children is right, that's exactly why they should be doing it. If it doesn't result in more responsible professional minded young adults it will at least return us to the era when thugs wore pinstripe suits and frankly that was classier, there was a certain dignity in being gunned down by a guy dressed for a funeral, none of this jeans down around your knees while ya "bust a cap" stuff. Here here! A return to traditional thuggery! Or better yet less thuggery all around.

Joseph Scott
October 12, 2005 3:33 PM

Add these two players to my list of people for whom I have absolutely no respect for.

Josh Dura
October 13, 2005 7:06 AM

I agree. The players are being complete morons about this. But at the same time, does the NBA really think that a dress code is going to be what fixes the image of the league? I guess seeing those players beat the crap out of fans at the Pacers/Pistons game, in suits, would make me feel a lot better about it :)

Kyle Hoggatt
November 12, 2005 1:06 PM

Basketball is just a game and you shouldn't have to dress up to go play basketball. And how the hell did raising the age to get into the NBA and putting a dress code into affect help the NBA stay out of a lockout?

connie jewell
January 9, 2007 6:50 PM

I think this is great and when the nba players get a chance after they buy thier clothes tell me where i can get some for my 14 yr old who is already 6'11 and still growing.

spoogz
July 28, 2008 1:47 PM

is there a nba player sending a massgae on dis borad here?? :S

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.