Squidward Pumpkin Pattern

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

My nine-year-old son wasn’t content with using a ready-made pattern to carve his pumpkin this year. He wanted to make Squidward from SpongeBob but the only pattern we could find was complicated — too complicated for a kid to carve.

So he pulled up SpongeBob on the Tivo, paused the screen and drew a simplified Squidward. I helped him turn his original drawing into a pattern and he and mom carved Squidward together. He was so excited about his pattern that he wanted to share it, so I’m putting it online for him. Click the thumbnail to download a PDF of his pattern.

squidward_small.png

His original drawing, complete with pumpkin mess from the carving project:

Squidward_Orig.png

anon
September 20, 2006 4:16 PM

did the carving come out right?

thats shit!!!!!!
October 26, 2006 8:49 AM

thats really pants...

jhg
October 27, 2006 8:28 PM

that look sweird

Someone who can DRAW!
October 28, 2006 10:50 AM

That sucks so much.....

October 28, 2006 10:58 AM

Hey, jackass.... He's NINE! Yes, anon, the carving came out great.

Jeremy Ellis
October 29, 2006 12:43 PM

Adam, I enjoy seeing someone with a temper like mine:) & the ability to switch from one personality to the next. Don't worry about the critics, the drawing is acceptable for anyone who has an imagination of their own.

Kels
November 26, 2006 6:19 PM

i think it is really a sweet picture im 14 and i love spongebob...i cant even draw a stick person...so all you faggots shutup...very creative

PTS
February 19, 2008 4:27 PM

I agree with Kels... You go kid!

Software engineering manager interview questions (Aug 6)
Here are some questions I like to use to get a sense of who an engineering manager is and how they work.
A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?