RSSCache: spammers

This article is over 15 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

If you have a product you want to market towards bloggers, perhaps spamming them won’t get you the type of attention you’re looking for. I got the same email that Chris did. The address it was sent to is only in my feed. They’re scraping email addresses out of feeds and spamming them. Nice.

In addition to using spam, they’re also using deceptive marketing practices to promote their tool. In the
example of the feeds that use their system
they list feeds from Slashdot, Penny Arcade, and Blogger. As far as I can tell, none of these sites are actually using RSSCache. The RSS feeds they serve up seem to come from their own servers, not those belonging to RSSCache. So the folks behind RSSCache are trying to make it seem as if these sites are clients of theirs. The point behind RSSCache is to save the site owner bandwidth. I’m sure that Slashdot and Google need help with that.

Trackback from Neil's World
October 15, 2004 12:22 AM

Not the best way to launch a product

Excerpt: As Adam and Chris have noted, a company called D2Soft technologies decided to launch its potentially interesting new site rsscache.com by scraping email addresses from feeds and spamming them.

Trackback from Lummaland - das Weblog
October 15, 2004 1:17 AM

Tolle Idee: Produkteinführung mit Spam

Excerpt: Eben gerade wurde ich per Spam auf den neuen Dienst RSSCache hingewiesen. Dabei bin ich allerdings nicht alleine, Adam Kalsey

Dennis Pallett
October 15, 2004 12:29 PM

Got the same e-mail as well. Rather sneaky I must say. I almost believed it was a genuine e-mail.

Johan Svensson
October 15, 2004 2:13 PM

Slashdot could certainly use better RSS handling methods. Right now you get banned for 72 hours if you grab their RSS (RDF, actually) more than once every 30 minutes. Their feed is a couple of kBs large, and doesn't appear to be generated dynamically. You can hammer their front page every five seconds without repercussions, though, and that page is a couple of magnitudes larger. I guess that goes well together with their "nested tables like it's 1996" web design. I've received spam to an address that only existed in my feeds too, but that was probably the result of random scraping of every linked file rather than targeted spam.

Benjamin Berube
October 17, 2004 11:52 AM

Hello, I’m Benjamin Berube from D2Soft Technologies. True, we might have made a mistake, and we do apology. Our solution, RSScache.com, is really something we think will help RSS and all Web sites that gains popularity and for whom bandwidth is a problem. For that reason, we might have gone too fast in wanting RSS webmasters to know about our solution and sent emails to those, while we forgot the fact that our message wasn’t personalised for each webmaster, causing potential “madness” because of this. For that, yes, we feel sorry. However, we never intended to be spammers, and we’re not. Spammers don’t take time to answer to comments, they just spam. Also, we are not using deceptive marketing practice. Maybe our text with our example is not clear enough, and we will correct it. However, it’s true that Slashdot, Penny Arcade and Blogger don’t use our system, and we never intended to say they do. We’re simply giving examples on how our service can be used with real feeds example. Thanks for your time.

Vaspers the Grate
February 2, 2005 7:25 PM

Thanks Adam for this info. When I wrote a post on Comment Spammers a while ago, I recall someone, maybe you, saying spammers are attacking RSS feeds, trackbacks, "email this post to a friend", guestbooks, pings, any interactive functionality of a blog. Can you refresh my memory where I might have come across this?

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.