4.2 Trillion Unread

This article is over 15 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Perusing my Bloglines subscriptions early this morning, I discovered that the Industry Standard feed apparently had more than 4 trillion billion unread items. I don’t have that sort of time.

Feed with 4.2 trillion unread items

I clicked the feed, fully expecting the resulting enormous page to eat up all my RAM and force a reboot. But instead I was greeted with the information that there were no items left to be read in that feed. Apparently some sort of temporary Bloglines meltdown.

Ted Hussey
October 24, 2004 6:12 AM

Yaaaa! I'm the first! Your blog is one of the ones I read on a daily basis. It's always filled with good stuff. I've used some of your plugings on my blog. Like Tony used to say... "They're GGGGGGGGREAT! Thanks, Ted

Manda
October 24, 2004 8:03 AM

I had something like that happen with the Movable Type news blog once, although I think in that case it did try to load all of those entries.

Clay
October 24, 2004 3:07 PM

Actually, I think Tony stills says that. No, you're right. I saw a commercial the other day with a "We are the Champions" ripoff. "Mighty, mighty tigers" or something like that.

Michael Moncur
October 24, 2004 9:15 PM

Same thing happened here (different feed, similar large number, same actual number (0) of unread items.) Odd.

jaronson
October 26, 2004 4:50 AM

That number above is only 4.2 billion...still a BIG number, though.

Freyr
October 29, 2004 1:40 PM

Clearly a bug, that number is only 1224 short from 2^32 (4.294.967.296), which is the maximum value for an unsigned 32 bit number. Something did x = -1224 and then displayed its unsigned equalient.

Jeramey Jannene
November 21, 2004 7:19 PM

And I thought I was lazy, the highest any of my unread feeds have ever gone is 200.

Roel
December 2, 2004 12:13 PM

@Jeramy Jannene: 200 is the maximum amount of posts Bloglines will retain for you. Per feed, that is.

Jeramey Jannene
December 4, 2004 10:30 AM

Ah, thanks Roel.

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.