Thunderbird notifier wish

This article is over 15 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

On Windows, Thunderbird will pop up a small window by the system tray when a new message arrives. The window shows the number of new messages as the message arrives. As someone who leaves my email client open all day long, I don’t see the usefulness of this. What would be a lot more useful is something like Traylook from Pergenex Software offers for Outlook.

Traylook adds popup notification to Outlook. When new messages arrive, the notifier includes the sender and the subject of the message. For multiple messages, the popup scrolls through all of the messages. See the screenshots and a Flash animation.

This doesn’t seem like a tough thing to do as a Thunderbird extension. Anyone with the time to take a crack at it?

Rupert Wilson
September 4, 2004 8:07 PM

The Bat, an email client programmed in Moldova, is worth a look. It has a scrolling notifier that you can position where you will on your screen, whilst minimising the Bat window to a taskbar icon. Pretty fab probgram all in all. And it is available in nearly every language localisation! http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

Fabio
October 14, 2004 5:59 AM

There's the tool you want, as far as sending Th to the tray wich is what I like: http://sniperbeamer.de/tbtray/ It's designed for .de versions, but works fine with all versions (mine is the localized french one). Very nice and simple tool!

SpaceRazor
October 27, 2004 3:29 PM

Does somebody happen to know if there are some cool notifiers available for Thunderbird like they are for incredimail??? I always miss the damn sound of the Thunderbird 'notifier' and this little icon is hardly visible :P.

Bong
November 3, 2004 8:40 PM

quote "Does somebody happen to know if there are some cool notifiers available for Thunderbird like they are for incredimail???..." I really like to see thunderbird to have that cool notifiers like incredimail. I've been using incredimail for couple of years but decided to give Thunderbird a blow! Hope you - developer guys try to create an extension that accomplish this kind of fancy notifiers :)

jk
November 17, 2004 6:15 AM

try this utillity, it's great! http://poptray.org

Linda
December 6, 2004 5:47 AM

I make signature tags and e-mail stationery. I generate so much e-mail in a given day that my husband traded my outlook for thunderbird. I am still learning how to use it. Can anyone tell me if I can use my stationery adn signature tags with it? Thanks, Linda

Eddie Marsh
December 28, 2004 7:28 PM

nsnotify.exe has been great for allowing me to check personal email from work, without having to run two different mail programs all day long. I wanted to switch to Thunderbird, but found it had no similar background notifier. As such, I spent a few days "knocking out" an nsnotify "work alike" in Visual Basic 6.0. It's missing a few features, but satisfies my essential needs. If you'd like to take a look, you can download it from my website. -EM

Ashish
May 10, 2005 8:28 PM

Dear All, i m using thunderbird, i like it very much. It is very fine in use. Now can anybody guide me, that how can i configure thunderbird with which i can get "popup window" when a new mail arrive? i know the sound setting, but i also need popuu window so pl. guide me the configuration. Thanks Ashish

Matt
September 25, 2005 7:28 PM

I'd like to see an email notifier that has a small footprint and is separate from Thunderbird. A pop-up notifier like Outlook's would be nice, and it should launch Thunderbird when you click on it. I don't like leaving my mail app open all the time, so the small footprint app that checks my pop3 accts on a schedule or interval would be great.

Smokiesman
September 30, 2005 11:58 AM

The best free notifer I have used is Mailmoa! You setup just like your mailbox and you can add whatever sound you like. Also you can read your mail right away without even havin to open mail program. So if it is suspect you can delete without opening program and getting infected! I like it alot!!

Sys Tray plugin?
November 2, 2005 8:28 PM

Hi ...came across your site looking for a plugin that allowed thunderbird to reduce to the system tray ....then I went direct to mozdev.org and I think I've found the answer to some ppls problems: http://minimizetotray.mozdev.org/ The plugin lets you minimise thunderbird to the system tray, rather than have it use up space on the taskbar ...it created an entry in the File menu ...or keyshortcut Ctrl-Shirt-M Cheers, Mark

Bruce the Spruce
November 8, 2005 5:52 AM

powerful extension to minimize Windows versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla Suite, and Nvu to the system tray. Features: * Tray menus via right mouse click. MinimizeToTray provides quick access to many of Firefox and Thunderbird's most used features. For Firefox, easily view your Downloads or open a new browser window. For Thunderbird, compose new messages and view your Address Book while keeping it minimized all day to check for new mail. 20x1 spacer Firefox Menu Thunderbird Menu * Quick and flexible minimizing options. MinimizeToTray always allows you to send Firefox or Thunderbird to the tray by right-mouse clicking on the minimize button, or by choosing "File => Minimize to Tray" from the menu, or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+M from the keyboard. With the extension options, you can force the application to always minimize to the tray instead of the taskbar by selecting the checkbox inside the extension's options, restore using a single or double click, or minimize the application on close. Always minimize option * (In development) -Turbo option for Firefox and Thunderbird. MinimizeToTray implements this popular feature from the Mozilla application suite. Have a Firefox tray icon and menu always available, even if no browser window is open. Or have Thunderbird launch directly into the tray only to notify you if you receive mail.

Reza
November 30, 2005 4:22 AM

Geoff M
May 23, 2006 12:37 AM

Good news !!! If yr after email sound notification for TB on seperate accts.you will be HAPPY. I've been using Mail Alert 0.8 for a day or so and it's brilliant, also allows you to configure pop-up message text to yr specs. Find it at www.extensionsmirror.nl in the TB extensions section.

sven
October 4, 2006 1:09 AM

Great to see the alert extension ! I was also looking for an incredimail like notifier. What I also would like to see on TB: An extension that marks the email as seen or not seen. When I get a reception email, it's placed under the send (wich is ok), but a simple icon on the email itselve would be helpfull.

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 24 comments here.

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.