Bloglines and Firefox fix

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I was trying to use Firefox to read feeds in Bloglines but when I clicked on a feed, nothing would happen. There were no JavaScript errors, no indication that something was wrong, but clicking on a feed simply didn’t work.

According to Bloglines, the problem lies with the Tabbrowser Extensions for Firefox. To fix the problem all you need to do is add a line to your prefs.js. The easiest way to do this is type about:config in the address bar. That will show your preferences. Then right click and chose to add a new boolean value. For the preference name, enter docshell.frameloadcheck.disabled and then enter "true" for the value. Problem solved.

Alden Bates
August 1, 2004 6:14 PM

Cheers! That's been bugging me for a while now. :)

Eli
August 16, 2004 5:46 PM

Worked like a charm - thanks for posting!

Jeff Minard
August 26, 2004 1:03 AM

Just outta curiosity, have you found anyway to get bloglines to work as a sidebar bookmark in Firefox?

John Sands
August 29, 2004 7:08 PM

Excellent! I've been using the middle button for Bloglines links since I installed Tabbrowser Extensions. I didn't mind the adjustment, but now I want to add the easyGestures pie menu on the middle button. Your tip lets me have all three working correctly - Bloglines, Tabbrowser Extensions and easyGestures. Thanks.

Christian Wilcox
August 30, 2004 6:49 PM

Thanks for the fix!

Greg R.
September 5, 2004 7:00 AM

Kudos! I can't live without Firefox, Tabbrowser Extensions, *or* Bloglines. Since upgrading to Firefox 0.9.3 earlier this weekend, I'd been pulling my hair out because I had to use [shudder] IE to read Bloglines. Thanks!

tatere
September 24, 2004 1:02 AM

Ditto, thank you for figuring this out (how did you figure it out, anyway? just as a future pointer) - I've been playing "let's reinstall Firefox" all friggin' day, and had finally got it to work mostly when I ran into exactly this problem. My head remains unexploded, thanks to this tip. :P

H
October 10, 2004 11:02 AM

Thanks for this. It also works for Mozilla 1.7.3.

Trackback from getting things done, productively
October 17, 2004 9:28 PM

Bloglines & Firefox

Excerpt: I had a vexing problem with this combo, which Tom and others tried to help me resolve. The issue: I'd click a site listed in Bloglines left panel, a new tab would open, but blank. I ensured all extensions were updated, and tried various settings, but t...

Sam
February 21, 2005 7:10 PM

Hey... great fix! I am noticing however, that I have to reset the docshell.frameloadcheck.disabled value every time that I restart Firefox (even though it still says "true"). For some reason, Firefox ignores that value after a restart and has to be reminded that it exists. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced similar? Thanks!

Chase R.
September 1, 2005 12:17 AM

I've tried the fix you suggested, adding the string and changing the value to True. However the problem still occurs. I was putzing around with the settings in TBE and managed to get bloglines to work by changing the "new tab" behavior...however I cannot figure out exactly how I did that, and now I'm back to BL not working anymore. Does anyone know the specific setting that is causing this bug? I have over 150 feeds in bloglines that I read daily, and this is by far the most inconvenient bug i've come across in fireferret yet. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

jay
October 2, 2005 1:23 PM

thank thank thank you...I was about:pull hair out

Gal
December 26, 2005 8:10 AM

I had a similiar problem for months, only my FF kept opening "untitled" tabs in the background... How i got it to work? For me it was simply changing TBE Options->Window Mode from "Use only one ..." to "Use multiple windows normally" (I'd recommend unistalling TBE, making sure bloglines work, installing TBE again and then working your way in the options while verifying that bloglines still works) Thanks for the TBE hint, though!

Cat
March 10, 2006 2:59 AM

Thanks for this great article!!

Suresh Ramaswamy
October 14, 2008 8:09 AM

I had a similar problem and was frustrated looking around for a solution with no avail. I even emailed Bloglines, but they are yet to respond. Then today, I just discovered Bloglines worked fine on my Firefox once I removed the Skype extension for Firefox. So maybe something you could check if some of the add ons are causing this problem as well. Good luck :) !

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 28 comments here.

Software engineering manager interview questions (Aug 6)
Here are some questions I like to use to get a sense of who an engineering manager is and how they work.
A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?