Stop the music

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’ve been viewing a lot of sites while reviewing for BlogSnob and I’m a bit annoyed. What’s with all the music on people’s sites? Is this 1998 again?

In case you were thinking about having your favorite tune load up when people visit your site — don’t. It takes a long time to load. The sound quality generally stinks. It crashes some browsers. And most of all, your musical tastes are not likely the same as all of your visitors. I have my own musical selections, thank you. I don’t need to hear yours.

Rich Z
March 29, 2004 7:23 AM

Amen! In fact I make it a point to close the browser window or browse away from the offending site in question. I haven't yet run across any blogs with music and I'm not looking forward to it.

8-Ball
April 1, 2004 8:39 AM

Ha ha ha the most annoying thing in the whole world. Apart from piles.

francois
April 5, 2004 1:46 AM

Generally I couldn't agree more -- there's nothing as annoying as being forced to reach for the speakers when visiting a site. BUT here's a photoblog where the music is one of the reasons for visiting: http://www.infrangible.com/ I've even bought some CDs as a result of stuff I've heard here. (Interesting, considering that such use of MP3s is technically illegal.) Note that the implementation is friendly: music doesn't play by default, only on demand. (At least in my browser.) And the site is unashamedly broadband -- no compromising in photo quality, nor audio. p.s. I think your last sentence -- "I have my own musical selections, thank you. I don’t need to hear yours" -- is slightly disingenuous when talking about blogs.

Omega
April 17, 2004 4:50 PM

Yes, normally music on sites is annoying as, if not more than, getting a toothpick shoved in your eye very slowly. But, on blogs, I think they're perfectly acceptable. Blogs are places for the author's tastes, opinions, interests, and lifestyle, so they can do whatever they want there, IMHO. However, on normal sites, which are for the public, for people to view, and for people to be able to use and enjoy, they shouldn't be used. It's annoying, unprofessional, and will drive viewers/ readers away.

JB
April 17, 2004 10:45 PM

Funny story about that... For a website forum I help review some sites... One person's I looked at recently (a blog) had four different songs you could choose from load up on the side of his site... It was driving me nuts, because no matter how hard I tried to convince him to drop it, he was adament about keeping it... But on the positive I guess its better than the video he was loading up before I started with him =-)

Tim Macalpine
May 18, 2004 8:31 PM

"What’s with all the music on people’s sites? Is this 1998 again?" Now, that's pretty funny! I came across a blog about a week ago that played some inane song and didn't have a button to click to turn the darn thing off. Argh. Why scare your audience away? I guarantee the folks who really like to be greeted with music when they visit a site are in the minority. Tim

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.