New Google features, UI

This blog post is over 17 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

Google’s released two new features and tweaked their UI. The results pages are a bit more streamlined (still uses tables and font tags though) and do a better job of highlighting the ads on the page. The ads no longer look like they were stuck on the page as an afterthought. The Google News teasers at the top of the page now flow better with the search results.

Google’s Web Alerts allows a searcher to save a search and when Google indexes new pages with those terms, an alert is sent be email. This is an apparent extension of their News Alerts service. What I’d like to know is where the RSS feeds are? I’d love to be able to save a search and have the results stored in an RSS feed, a la Feedster.

Jamie Kirkpatrick
March 29, 2004 10:59 AM

Feedster eh? I recently found PubSub (thanks to Brad Choate). As you say...this to me seems to be the missing feature to google nowadays. Sort that out and things would be ner near perfect!

Scott Rafer
March 29, 2004 7:20 PM

Just to come full circle, we just added email delivery of our searches -- Feedster Email Alerts -- http://www.feedster.com/alerts.php Let us know if you like them.

Henry Flum
March 30, 2004 1:00 AM

I've been using Google Alert (www.googlealert.com) for the past few months - it is a Google-based web alerting service with RSS feeds, and a lot more features than Google's service.

james ellis
March 30, 2004 5:34 AM

The Wired magazine issue that was all about Google said they would have RSS-feed news alerts. And I can't find anything on their site about that, either.

Rad Geek
April 13, 2004 7:54 AM

My suspicion is that you will not see RSS on Google any time soon--specifically, unless and until there is a good, widely used method for delivering RSS feeds other than using an HTTP GET to poll a URI at set intervals. Think of how many people use Google and Google News; who can blame Google for not wanting those bajillions of people to start doing automatic polling every 30 minutes because they didn't bother to adjust the settings on their crappy feed reader?

Michael Heraghty
April 15, 2004 5:19 AM

Overall, I like the new Google look. But one thing that really bugs me is the "New!" next to the Froogle link. Just looks tacky...

JB
April 17, 2004 11:17 PM

It also seems they got rid of the directory structure on the results page... I'll miss it because I found it to be a lot more usefull than the "similar pages" option in finding related material.. You can still find the directory under the "more" option, but thats the only reference to it. I wonder if there trying to phase it out (maybe because dmoz never updates)...

Tim Parkin
May 23, 2004 3:17 AM

I've also noticed the click tracking appearing a lot more frequently on google, they use quite a nice layer of abstraction to make it difficult to see that they are really doing it aswell. I wonder if this click tracking is being used to optimise results, either way I think it should be made obvious when you are on the google page that they have chosen you as there latest person to spy on ... er... monitor.. errrr.. offer an improved user experience to in exchange for a slight privacy reduction.

The Trap of The Sales-Led Product (Dec 10)
It’s not a winning way to build a product company.
The Hidden Cost of Custom Customer Features (Dec 7)
One-off features will cost you more than you think and make your customers unhappy.
Domain expertise in Product Management (Nov 16)
When you're hiring software product managers, hire for product management skills. Looking for domain experts will reduce the pool of people you can hire and might just be worse for your product.
Strategy Means Saying No (Oct 27)
An oft-overlooked aspect of strategy is to define what you are not doing. There are lots of adjacent problems you can attack. Strategy means defining which ones you will ignore.
Understanding vision, strategy, and execution (Oct 24)
Vision is what you're trying to do. Strategy is broad strokes on how you'll get there. Execution is the tasks you complete to complete the strategy.
How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.

© 1999-2021 Adam Kalsey.