New Google features, UI

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Google’s released two new features and tweaked their UI. The results pages are a bit more streamlined (still uses tables and font tags though) and do a better job of highlighting the ads on the page. The ads no longer look like they were stuck on the page as an afterthought. The Google News teasers at the top of the page now flow better with the search results.

Google’s Web Alerts allows a searcher to save a search and when Google indexes new pages with those terms, an alert is sent be email. This is an apparent extension of their News Alerts service. What I’d like to know is where the RSS feeds are? I’d love to be able to save a search and have the results stored in an RSS feed, a la Feedster.

Jamie Kirkpatrick
March 29, 2004 10:59 AM

Feedster eh? I recently found PubSub (thanks to Brad Choate). As you say...this to me seems to be the missing feature to google nowadays. Sort that out and things would be ner near perfect!

Scott Rafer
March 29, 2004 7:20 PM

Just to come full circle, we just added email delivery of our searches -- Feedster Email Alerts -- http://www.feedster.com/alerts.php Let us know if you like them.

Henry Flum
March 30, 2004 1:00 AM

I've been using Google Alert (www.googlealert.com) for the past few months - it is a Google-based web alerting service with RSS feeds, and a lot more features than Google's service.

james ellis
March 30, 2004 5:34 AM

The Wired magazine issue that was all about Google said they would have RSS-feed news alerts. And I can't find anything on their site about that, either.

Rad Geek
April 13, 2004 7:54 AM

My suspicion is that you will not see RSS on Google any time soon--specifically, unless and until there is a good, widely used method for delivering RSS feeds other than using an HTTP GET to poll a URI at set intervals. Think of how many people use Google and Google News; who can blame Google for not wanting those bajillions of people to start doing automatic polling every 30 minutes because they didn't bother to adjust the settings on their crappy feed reader?

Michael Heraghty
April 15, 2004 5:19 AM

Overall, I like the new Google look. But one thing that really bugs me is the "New!" next to the Froogle link. Just looks tacky...

JB
April 17, 2004 11:17 PM

It also seems they got rid of the directory structure on the results page... I'll miss it because I found it to be a lot more usefull than the "similar pages" option in finding related material.. You can still find the directory under the "more" option, but thats the only reference to it. I wonder if there trying to phase it out (maybe because dmoz never updates)...

Tim Parkin
May 23, 2004 3:17 AM

I've also noticed the click tracking appearing a lot more frequently on google, they use quite a nice layer of abstraction to make it difficult to see that they are really doing it aswell. I wonder if this click tracking is being used to optimise results, either way I think it should be made obvious when you are on the google page that they have chosen you as there latest person to spy on ... er... monitor.. errrr.. offer an improved user experience to in exchange for a slight privacy reduction.

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.