FTP filters

This blog post is over 18 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

Like most Web developers, I use FTP a lot. I also use CVS to manage the files on the sites I build. So here’s where the problem comes in. CVS creates a few files and directories alongside the directories and files that make up my Web site. So when I upload a site via FTP, there are CVS and .cvsignore files all over the site.

Currently, to get around this, I run a CVS Export command to make a clean copy of the site, without any CVS directories or files. I then upload that copy of the site to the server. There are several problems with this. When I use the Tortoise CVS client to run the export, empty directories are not exported. Empty directories are often cache directories for whatever application I’m developing. The files within them aren’t stored in CVS, so the export doesn’t end up creating the directories. I have to go and add them in manually.

I also hate to run an export just to get the latest copies of two or three directories that changed. It’s easier to just copy the files over from my projects directory.

So what I need is an FTP program that will let me filter the files that get uploaded. Anything called CVS or .cvsignore wouldn’t get uploaded. Anyone got an FTP client that does this?

Arve
July 7, 2003 5:43 PM

Wouldn't a bit of clever shell scripting together with ncftpput do the job?

July 7, 2003 5:46 PM

Sure, if I was using Unix on my dev machine and I wanted to write something myself. I'm being lazy. I want a Windows GUI client that does it all for me already.

Arve
July 7, 2003 6:02 PM

Can't say I've seen any GUI programs that will do this. On the other hand: Sitecopy seems handy: http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/ - there is a windows/cygwin port.

Carlo Zottmann
July 7, 2003 11:17 PM

I recommend SmartFTP ( http://www.smartftp.com ). So far the best and most underappreciated FTP client for Windows I came across. BTW: The filter works both with simple strings and regex.

agaffin
July 8, 2003 12:11 PM

CuteFTP has filters and lets you set them permanently for specific "sites."

Nollind Whachell
July 8, 2003 2:30 PM

FTP Voyager ( http://www.ftpvoyager.com/ ) supports filters as well.

Simon Willison
July 9, 2003 11:40 AM

Just for the record, Python is a superb tool for script-style tasks on Windows. Since Python has an ftp module included in the standard library ("Batteries included") it probably wouldn't take very long to knock up a simple Python script to do this. Of course, if you haven't learnt Python yet a GUI tool would probably be a lot quicker ;)

The Trap of The Sales-Led Product (Dec 10)
It’s not a winning way to build a product company.
The Hidden Cost of Custom Customer Features (Dec 7)
One-off features will cost you more than you think and make your customers unhappy.
Domain expertise in Product Management (Nov 16)
When you're hiring software product managers, hire for product management skills. Looking for domain experts will reduce the pool of people you can hire and might just be worse for your product.
Strategy Means Saying No (Oct 27)
An oft-overlooked aspect of strategy is to define what you are not doing. There are lots of adjacent problems you can attack. Strategy means defining which ones you will ignore.
Understanding vision, strategy, and execution (Oct 24)
Vision is what you're trying to do. Strategy is broad strokes on how you'll get there. Execution is the tasks you complete to complete the strategy.
How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.

© 1999-2021 Adam Kalsey.