Not Radio

This article is over 17 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

To the person who’s trying a variety of URLs to find mySubscriptions.opml on my server: this blog isn’t made with Radio Userland. So you won’t find it. My subscription list isn’t public.

For those who do have public subscription lists, I’m curious why you’ve done it and what the response has been from your readership.

Luke Reeves
June 16, 2003 8:31 PM

I've been getting the exact same thing from the Feedster search engine: xx.xx.xx.xx - - [15/Jun/2003:15:34:56 -0400] "GET /mySubscriptions.opml HTTP/1.1" 404 203 "-" "Feedster Harvester/1.0; Feedster, LLC." Strange, but probably harmless.

June 16, 2003 11:59 PM

I didn't even think to look at the log files and see what was requesting that file. It's feedster all right. Scott's trying to build up his feed list. I'll bug him about changing that.

Scott Johnson
June 18, 2003 7:21 AM

Ok. We've been experimenting with this. Just a head request looking for where different aggregators store this. Why? Looking for more blogs that's all. No personally identifable information is stored. Just parsing it and grabbing the different rssurls for indexing. This is currently scheduled for a 2x per month run. That's all. And they are just head requests. We could pull down your rss feed instead and parse that for it if you prefer. UBt that only works for radio users so that's kind of lame. Scott

scott johnson
June 18, 2003 7:33 AM

Oh and I turned this off for both of you. If it comes up again its a bug and I apologize.

Phillip Harrington
June 19, 2003 9:02 PM

Scott, I thought the mySubscriptions.ompl was only radio, why are you using that *instead* of the RSS feed, since you seem to want to work with other blog tools? Adam, the reason there's such a thing as a mySubscriptions.opml file is that Userland Cult members don't know when to stop tinkering and they also worship connectivity. So any kind of new twist on the "blogroll" idea is immediately propogated throughout their part of blogdom. Also, these releases/enhancements are heralded with much fanfare. I've previously speculated if radio users could come up with a way to wire an outline to their toilets they would. Then you could parse it and publish a list of people you take a dump with at the same time. It would be the "myDumplist.ompl" or something. I'm giving them a hardtime, of course. No serious animosity intended. They're just weird. People like me need to point out how funny they are.

June 19, 2003 9:10 PM

Scott's grabbing the opml feed as a way of finding links to blogs that Feedster doesn't know about. I understand that completely. And some people do post a mySubscriptions.opml even if they don't use Radio. The opml format has been adopted as a standard way to import and export aggregator subscriptions, and some people that want to maintain Radio compatibility name their opml file mySubscriptions.opml even if they don't use Radio. I can understand why Scott is looking for the files and it makes sense, but I wish there was a way to do it without using brute force and just guessing URLs. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm sure Scott would be interested in hearing it.

Phillip Harrington
June 20, 2003 9:20 PM

Can't this be described as some form of LINK rel="Alternate"?

June 20, 2003 10:33 PM

Not a bad idea, but you'd probably want to use <link rel="meta" ... /> instead of "alternate" because the opml isn't an alternate form of the page contents. The other problem is support. Even if this were to take off, it would be some time before most blogs had the appropriate link tag in their content. So Scott would still need to grab the opml a different way for most sites for the time being.

Trackback from Jim Mangan's Weblog
June 21, 2003 1:25 PM

OMPL Surfaces

Excerpt: Not Radio :: Kalsey Consulting Group To the person who's trying a variety of URLs to find mySubscriptions.opml on my...

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.