Comments, please

This article is over 17 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’m testing out a new MT plugin that I’ve been working on, and I need your help. Please leave some comments and trackback pings on this entry.

If all goes well, you should see your trackbacks and comments intermingled as a simgle comments list. Since TrackBacks are just comments that were left on a different site, I think the display should be the same. That’s what this plugin does.

Assuming everything works, I’ll be releasing the plugin later this evening, but I need your comments in order to test it.

Trackback from phil ringnalda dot com
February 2, 2003 12:43 PM

MTPingsAndComments

Excerpt: Testing Adam Kalsey's new plugin to intermingle comments and TrackBacks

Phil Ringnalda
February 2, 2003 12:51 PM

Looks like maybe the individual entry page didn't rebuild: main page comment count shows one (I assume from my ping), but I don't see it here.

Phil Ringnalda
February 2, 2003 12:52 PM

Or, rather, I didn't until after I left a local comment that rebuilt the individual entry page.

Trackback from FCD/the weblog
February 2, 2003 1:20 PM

Still fondling

Excerpt: As long as I'm messing around with trackback and the websites of innocents, I may as well add one more

Al
February 2, 2003 1:21 PM

Okey-dokey, as requested a comment. No commentary, just a comment.

Trackback from phil ringnalda dot com
February 2, 2003 1:42 PM

Rebuilding individual archives when pinged

Excerpt: How to hack Movable Type to rebuild individual entry archives when a TrackBack ping is received.

Phil Ringnalda
February 2, 2003 2:17 PM

Release now! Release now! (He said, only so that he could rebuild the page to show his previous ping...) (Also: don't forget to put the plugin in the comment preview template.)

February 2, 2003 5:35 PM

There's several other places I need to change the comments code over to take advantage of this plugin. The preview and the comments XML feed both come to mind. I've thought about configuring MT to rebuild the individual archives when someone sends a TrackBack ping, but my individual entry pages do a lot of processing and it take too long to rebuild. Pretty much every ping would time out. Maybe I can set MT up to fork a rebuild process when someone pings.

February 2, 2003 6:27 PM

SimpleComments is out. See http://kalsey.com/2003/02/simplecomments/

Trackback from A young man's Site Log
February 4, 2003 7:36 AM

Mixing comments the right way

Excerpt: Simple Comments = Simply beautiful. Thank you. Thanks Phil for the link. Thanks Adam for the work.

David Blangstrup
February 18, 2003 3:13 AM

You say, that you don't have to learn any new MTtags. Seems to me there's a lot of tags to be implemented???

February 18, 2003 8:09 AM

There's a container tag that replaces MTComments and a tag that replaces MTEntryCommentCount. There's two conditional tags that you can use if you want, but you could create a tmplate without them if you wanted. I'm sorry that seems like a lot of tags to you. The idea is that you don't need to learn a new way of displaying comments. Just put your existing comment and TrackBack templates inside the new container tag, and you're set.

Fil
April 4, 2003 11:28 PM

Testing Adam's comments.

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.