Block Outlook receipts

This article is over 17 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Microgarden Outlook Tools contains an option that lets you block read receipts. Outlook lets you block read receipts on Internet mail, but automatically processes the receipts when you are connected to an Exchange server. This tool will let you block all read receipts and protect your privacy.

Quadsk8
August 24, 2002 4:50 AM

Off Topic: your banner pic doesn't work (RSS feeds) http://www.kalsey.com/images/kalseybanner.gif On topic: Can you not simply opt in Outlook for notifcation before sending any receipts? Lawrence

August 24, 2002 6:52 AM

That only works for Internet mail accounts. If you are receiving your mail through an Exchange server, the process read receipt option doesn't work. In fact, in Outlook XP, the settings dialog says "Use this option to decide how to respond to requests for read receipts. Only applies to Internet Mail accounts."

August 24, 2002 6:57 AM

I just checked the RSS banner and it looks fine. Have you noticed the problem more than once? Maybe there was a network problem that prevented you from getting the file.

Quadsk8
August 24, 2002 9:08 AM

Just one time (both in IE and FeedReader), it's working now. Isn't MS nice with these documented unfeatures as opportunities for plugin writers? :-) Lawrence

Jim R
September 22, 2003 7:06 AM

I connect to an Exchange server, and until recently I had Outlook XP which had been upgraded from 2000 (I don't know for sure if there had been a previous upgrade to get it up to 2000), and I was able to choose read-receipt options (I chose "ask me" so I could send them to colleagues and not to spammers). My company just got me a new PC with a clean install of Outlook XP, and now those options are greyed-out, as you indicate. What are the odds that I could get the old functionality back if I got my IT folks to redo my Outlook with the old version and then upgrade it? By the way, I would guess based on the content of your site that you wouldn't spam me or or sell my address, but I couldn't find a privacy policy. Please don't e-mail me unless it's in reply to this posting.

Bharani
December 9, 2004 2:09 AM

Hai I am Bharani I am using a mail client of "Microsoft Outlook" i need a software or option to block the read receipts which are requested for me, some thing like firewall while the receipt is going out it should confirm once with us for delivery if we are clicking "Access" it should go out or other wise "Deny" to cancel the receipt. Can any have such software.Please help me.

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.