Nationwide Do Not Call List

This article is over 18 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Computerworld: FTC wants national 'do not call' list to stop telemarketers. Under the system, consumers could place their phone number in a national registry, making it illegal for telemarketers to call them.

R MArtin
November 24, 2002 8:24 AM

The FTC is not going far enough with this process. The fine against Telemarketers who illegally call residents listed on the "Do not Call List" should be very very high...even to the point of bankrupting the Telemarketing organization at fault. In other words....Make an example of them. Show them that the law is the law and if you break it, you WILL PAY. (there is not enough of that these days.) Furthermore, a sizable percentage (or all) of the fine should be payable directly to the Resident or Residents whose privacy was violated, with no restrictions on the number of agencies that the Resident(s) can file suit against. Lets bankrupt this corrupt system, and put the power of our Freedom back into the hands of the consumer. Finally, an addition to this law should be that NO organization may have selling rights to a persons name or namesake. I.E no company can have my name on a list that they sell and make a profit from without MY express consent and DUE compensation.

December 19, 2002 11:29 PM

The official site for the national do not call list is at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/index.html

john
December 21, 2002 5:27 AM

Accidently ran across this article just a couple of hours after writing up some of my own thoughts on the topic. http://www.johnsjottings.com/archives/000043.html

Conrad G. Ortega
March 26, 2003 5:49 AM

We have a new baby in the house and the telemarketers phone calls are constantly waking him. Additonally, our family time, as we call our super/dinner time, is constantly being interrupted. If I want someone to call me I will provide them with my name and phone number. If I do not specifically ask you to call me do not call! I consider this an invasion of my privacy which I am entitled too especially in my own home! Stop calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aldrich & Utter families
February 8, 2006 2:48 PM

Please take our phone number off the telemarketers calling lists.

Oneida Benjamin
June 23, 2006 9:19 AM

We get anywhere from 25-30 calls a day starting at 9am in the morning until 10pm at night. This is very annoying and disruptive. If I want to purchase/donate something I will do it myself.

pdenhartog
January 9, 2009 8:39 AM

get too many calls Nobdy there like it too stop

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.