Carmel Coffee Marketing

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

The owner of Caffe Cardinale, the Carmel coffee place I visited last July for the WiFi access, just found my blog entry on the subject. He emailed to thank me for the plug and told me he’s sending me a free pound of coffee and a logoed travel mug. And next time I’m in Carmel, he says, the WiFi’s free. That pretty much guaranteed him another mention on this site.

That’s smart marketing. Find happy satisfied customers who tell others about their experience and turn them into fans.

Thorn Vandevelde
December 5, 2003 4:04 PM

Nice, but if I were you I'd try to sell him a web site too ;-) The current one looks so 90ies and I also reckon that a coffee company is a great subject for a website. The site could certainly do with a more modern, polished look as well as a standards-based approach, boosting accessibility.

Rich
December 6, 2003 7:07 AM

It's so hard for most miser small business owners to realize this simple yet effective concept. It's amazing how little this practice is realized.

homerjay
December 13, 2003 8:25 PM

I'm amazed more places don't offer free WiFi. I was back home in Syracuse NY, and couldn't find one place that offered it for free. I would have sat there all day, buying whatever they had (coffee, food, etc...). These are smart people.

Bruce
March 8, 2005 4:15 PM

Homerjay, I'm actually in the process of trying to open a couple new coffee houses with my brother. The first will be in Massachusetts, but I hope to have one in Syracuse, NY within a year or so as that is where I am from. Free WiFi is just one of the many offerings we have planned. I hope one day you'll be frequenting our place. As for this thread in general, I must say that Carmel Coffee clearly did the right thing. I am as bewildered as Rich is that more business' in general, not just coffee houses, don't take a little more time to think about the long range ramifications of their actions or lack of action as the case may be. Often a simple gesture speaks volumes for your business. These are the things that shape the perception you hold with the public. Regards, Coffee House Entrepreneur to be, Bruce

billy billster
December 21, 2005 6:56 PM

Coffee Pavilion - 133 E Water St - (315) 422-4040 Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub & Restaurant - 301 W Fayette St - (315) 424-1974 Clinton Square, Armory Square, Hanover Square Hotzones Broadway Coffee Cafe - 210 West Seneca Turnpike - (315)469-1234 Carousel Center/Mall Food Court - 9090 Carousel Center Drive Mama Nancy's - 512 State fair Blvd. - (315) 701-4994 Courtyard by Marriott - 6415 Yorktown Circle - (315) 432-0300 Genesee Inn Hotel - 1060 East Genesee Street - 315-476-4212 The Marx Hotel - 701 E. Genesee Stree Super 8 Motel - S. Collamer Road ALL FREE WIFI

Naga
January 30, 2008 4:48 AM

Free coffee eh? But aren't happy customers already fans to begin with? If they would do this for everyone then it'd cost them too much, so I don't know how smart it is, but it's well known that companies tend to treat some customers better than others ;)

A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.
The Improvement Flywheel (Apr 29)
An incredible flywheel for the improvement of a development team. Fix a few things, and everything starts getting better.
Managers and technical ability (Dec 26)
In technical fields, the closer you are to the actual work being done, the closer your skills need to resemble those of the people doing the work.
Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.