Comment notification hack

This blog post is over 19 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

I find it irritating that each time I reply to someone’s comment on this site I receive an email notifying me that I’ve posted a comment. I like getting the notifications when someone else comments, just not when I comment.

So I opened up the MT source code and fixed it. Now when I add a comment, I don’t get the email.

Open lib/MT/App/Comments.pm and find the line that says MT::Mail->send(\%head, <<BODY);. (It’s line 123 in MT 2.21) Change it to read MT::Mail->send(\%head, <<BODY) unless $author->email eq $comment->email;

Now the author of a post won’t receive a comment notification if the commenter’s email is the same as the author’s.

francesco
October 3, 2002 4:58 AM

it didn't work for me... when i chsnge the code above and then try to open my popup-comment-window i get this: An error occurred: syntax error at lib/MT/App/Comments.pm line 145, near "}" (Might be a runaway multi-line << string starting on line 124) Compilation failed in require at mt-comments.cgi line 21.

October 3, 2002 9:35 AM

It sounds like your code is incorrect. Make sure you don't have a semicolon (;) before the "unless" and that you do have one at the end of the line. You might want to copy the code directly from this page and paste it into your code. All the code should be one a single line. If there are line breaks, remove them.

Kymberlie R. McGuire
October 25, 2002 11:37 AM

Awesome! Thanks!

patricia
February 16, 2003 6:01 AM

I just upgraded to MT 2.6 and ran into trouble when I tried hacking the comments.pm file. For this to work in 2.6 the line should read... MT::Mail->send(\%head, $body) unless $author->email eq $comment->email; It's just a small change from << to $ in front of 'body'. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

Trackback from Through the Looking Glass
August 18, 2003 5:34 AM

Comment hack

Excerpt: If you're using Moveable Type, this is an extremely useful hack - by simply replacing a line in the code, you can still be notified by e-mail when someone comments on your site, but you won't receive the e-mail when...

Jon Hicks
October 2, 2003 3:19 PM

Thanks for this hack! Worked a treat! (Its on line 152 in 2.6...)

Trackback from izzy|wizzy
October 12, 2003 6:57 PM

Ban Those Spam Comment IPs

Excerpt: Intrigued by a comment Kristine made on this post over at mentalized, regarding adding a delete comment link to the emails that MT automatically sends when a comment is added, I dug into MT a little to discover how to...

Trackback from ShawnAllison.com
October 15, 2003 11:03 AM

Comment Notification Hack for Mt-Blacklist

Excerpt: This is my first attempt to share I hack I've made based on a few others hacks around the web. It worked for me but...

Trackback from PromoGuy dot Net
October 16, 2003 9:19 AM

Blacklisted and Tweaked

Excerpt: MT-Blacklist appears to supercede any mods you've made to comment notifications. Here are a few links to work-arounds, plus a few other Comment Notifcation Mods you may want to try, and some nifty hacks I found along the way.

Trackback from nf0's Life
October 21, 2003 6:35 AM

Nightly Link Dump

Excerpt: Sony Ericsson: P900 Possibly my Next phone, once it works with a Mac Wired News: TV on DVD: What's the Difference? I think its crapy, and just something else wrong with the music industry. I read that the new Roswell DVD's have the music replaced. I t...

asb
October 24, 2004 8:51 PM

Has anything been done to fix this for MT 3x? I'm getting sooooo tired of getting my own comments. I'd really appreciate an answer and I'd more appreciate a posted fix! Thanks.

heather
January 30, 2005 6:05 PM

i don't know how dirty it is, but i changed lines 471 and 472 in lib/MT/App/Comments.pm (MT-3.15) from: MT::Mail->send(\%head, $body) or return $app->handle_error(MT::Mail->errstr()); to MT::Mail->send(\%head, $body) unless $author->email eq $comment->email; # or return $app->handle_error(MT::Mail->errstr()); to get rid of the annoying self-comments. i'm sure you could just use a filter in your email app, too.

Kristina
March 23, 2005 10:10 PM

Heather's mod worked for me. thanks heather and adam!

Jennifer
April 22, 2005 1:05 AM

FYI, if you would like to do this in MT v.3.1x and have MT-Blacklist installed, the file to modify is called Submission.pm, located in your plugins folder: plugins/Blacklist/lib/Blacklist/App/Submission.pm Around line 797 (almost the very bottom of the file) you can use Heather's mod above. Seems to work for me. Hope someone else finds this useful!

eli
January 13, 2006 8:46 AM

FYI, its lines 578-579 in MT 3.2

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 17 comments here.

The Trap of The Sales-Led Product (Dec 10)
It’s not a winning way to build a product company.
The Hidden Cost of Custom Customer Features (Dec 7)
One-off features will cost you more than you think and make your customers unhappy.
Domain expertise in Product Management (Nov 16)
When you're hiring software product managers, hire for product management skills. Looking for domain experts will reduce the pool of people you can hire and might just be worse for your product.
Strategy Means Saying No (Oct 27)
An oft-overlooked aspect of strategy is to define what you are not doing. There are lots of adjacent problems you can attack. Strategy means defining which ones you will ignore.
Understanding vision, strategy, and execution (Oct 24)
Vision is what you're trying to do. Strategy is broad strokes on how you'll get there. Execution is the tasks you complete to complete the strategy.
How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.

© 1999-2021 Adam Kalsey.