Hiccup remedies

This blog post is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current and the links no longer work.

Slight departure here from the usual fare, but does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting rid of hiccups?

I’ve been suffering for most of two days with constant, violent hiccups. It’s gotten to the point that my gut hurts from all the spasms. It’s even painful to breathe.

I’ve tried all the traditional remedies; getting startled, drinking upside down, holding my breath, plugging my ears and swallowing. Some of this has worked to varying degrees, but the dang things keep coming back.

(Now watch, I’ll have the number one site for hiccup remedies in Google within the week.)

*Hic*

Cindy
November 9, 2007 2:41 PM

Drink a cup/glass of water with a paper towel covering the rim.

Ev
November 14, 2007 12:03 PM

A friend told me this one years ago and it has worked every time I've used it. Sit upright in a chair with your arms hanging down to your side. Have someone hold a cup of water to your mouth and take 3-5 drinks. Abracadabra, they're gone!

rachel
December 10, 2007 7:17 PM

okay i am one of those unlucky people who has had hiccups since before i was born. NOTHING works. i did however look up shis site and they were gone.

j-bird
February 29, 2008 11:08 PM

ive had the hiccups for days. it got me so pissed off that i punched myself in the chest,hard, it worked!

Ashley
September 7, 2008 3:42 PM

THANK YOU!!! Someone please explain to me why the paper towel thing works! I have been using that remedy with perfect results since I was in elementary school! I'm now 24 and it has worked every single time. I am not superstitious, it doesn't work because I BELIEVE it works, it just works... Why?!?!?!?!

Christene
February 18, 2009 12:11 PM

I have hiccupped every (that im sure of) since my freshman year of 04. Its not many. just one or two every half hour at the least. sometimes id hiccup two times and wont hiccup for another four hours. but its a re accuring thing. and its driving me crazy. I feel like i have to explain myself everytime someone thinks ive been drinking. (im a waitress) sometimes people thinks its funny, but other times people really do think ive been drinking. but thats besides the point, it really hurts when i get them in consecutive times. over and over. or if i miss a hiccup - if that makes since - where you burp at the same time or have your mouth closed. is there like some sort of normal or abnormal cure for this? and seriously..dont ask for me to hold my breath..cause that wont work. lol

Uthpala
June 16, 2009 11:44 PM

Dear James, I am writing to you reguarding your comment on December 3, 2005 12:06 AM My father is sufferring from hiccups since 2 back.It happens in a 10 day cycle of hiccups + vommiting.then the next 10 days are totally normal.Done various medical tests and treatments...but couldnt find a cure... this is a rare instance that match with my fathers illness.I would like to contact you ASAP.please reply me ... isuranga@gmail.com thank you!

Mitchell
September 4, 2009 4:34 PM

Heres what works.1/2 a spoon of salt on your tongue,mouthful of water,gargle 30-60 seconds.Ive used it many times without a failure.

tylena
August 29, 2010 7:36 PM

plug both nostrils with the only the tips of your fingers and lick both of your lips with only the tips of your tongue.

eric
January 7, 2011 8:03 PM

Paper towel over the rim of the cup just worked for me. I tried it out of desperation thinking it was just stupid and i was going to laugh at myself for even trying but it really worked almost immediately.

Tina
January 20, 2011 10:44 AM

most remedies that help are all because of holding your breath. this slows down your breathing and restarts it easing the diaphragm spasm. you may just simply think, why doesn't it work when i hold my breath but these other ones do? well doing those other random things takes your mind off the hiccups by either using another part of your body or giving you a different sensation as a means of distraction. 9 sips of water works best for me. 1 sip, swallow, 2 sip, swallow... :D

Tom
March 31, 2011 4:17 PM

To Mitchell, your Salt solution worked perferctly!!!! Tastes horrible but got rid of my annoying hickup after the second gargle!!! This is the perfect solution!!!!! Thanks so much

David
May 19, 2011 4:48 AM

The Key down the back REALLY works.. I cant actually believe it !! Thanks Zara

chris
June 1, 2011 2:22 PM

It worked, i just read this on the first page as i have had hiccups all day!!! looking for a cure on the old interweb and thought i'd try the first sensible and logical one..................... Sit upright in a chair with your arms hanging down to your side. Have someone hold a cup of water to your mouth and take 3-5 sips...........actually tried it a few times since and it works every time.

julian
March 14, 2012 1:14 AM

i tried every last one of these tricks and not one of them worked at all. i have had hiccups for 5 days now constantly even when i sleep and the longest they stop is for 20 mins on there own.

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 139 comments here.

Principles of Developer Experience: An Introduction (Sep 15)
You can create a great developer experience for everything you build. Introducing the six principles of developer experience.
The KPI that measures Product-Market Fit (Sep 9)
If you ask this question to a different small group of your users every week, you can measure trends over time to determine if you're moving toward product-market fit.
Don't use NPS to measure user happiness for enterprise software (Sep 7)
Measuring the satisfaction and enjoyment of end users is a key to unlocking product-led growth. Net Promoter Score is the wrong tool for this.
Ask One Question To Help You Reach Product-Market Fit (Sep 3)
Learn what adjacent problems you need to solve to become twice as valuable to your customers.
How to scale your product team from one product manager to an entire organization (Aug 25)
As your product management team scales, you'll have issues around redundancy, communication, and consistency. Here's now you might solve those.
Software engineering manager interview questions (Aug 6)
Here are some questions I like to use to get a sense of who an engineering manager is and how they work.
A framework for onboarding new employees (May 15)
There’s no single good way to onboard an employee that works for every role. Here's a framework for creating a process that you can adapt to each situation.
TV hosts as a guide for software managers (May 10)
Software managers can learn a lot from journalists or late night TV hosts and how they interview people.