Comments

Comments for MTAmazon 2.0

Excerpt: MTAmazon is a Movable Type plugin that displays products from Amazon.com on your site. It allows flexible searching and display of products from any of Amazon’s product categories. New in version 2.0 is caching, related products searching, and more tags for Amazon product information. Read the whole article…

Kenneth Hunt
July 27, 2002 12:51 PM

Could you post a few more examples? I haven't gotten it working yet. Also is MTAmazonDevToken need in the template?

July 27, 2002 2:35 PM

devtoken is required in the template unless you have set a default developer's token in amazon.pl I'll work up some more examples and post them.

paulr
July 29, 2002 7:17 PM

Adam, the package looks really nice, but I can't get it to work! When I include an MTAmazon container in an entry or template, I get a bunch of errors: plugins/amazon.pl did not return a true value at /usr/www/users/robichau/cgi-bin/lib/MT.pm line 79 ConfigMgr.pm is OK; I don't have a plugins dir defined in my mt.cfg file, but I can load another (dead-simple) plugin in the plugins dir, so I don't think that's the problem. Any suggestions?

yosshi
July 29, 2002 8:59 PM

can i use this wonderful plugin with www.amazon.co.jp? i am Japanese actualy.

July 29, 2002 11:11 PM

Try putting the line: 1; at the end of amazon.pl.

July 29, 2002 11:13 PM

I don't think that Amazon offers their Web services interface for their non-US sites. You could ask them when they plan on supporting Web services outside the US.

paulr
July 30, 2002 2:53 AM

I added the "1;", but no dice. Maybe I'm doing the wrong thing-- can I use the tag within an entry, or only within templates?

July 30, 2002 10:21 AM

Movable Type doesn't process tags inside entries, so there's no way to use MTAmazon tags in an entry.

Dave Bitton
August 3, 2002 9:12 PM

I'm getting this error on rebuild: MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x82101c0) print on closed filehandle MT::CACHE at plugins/amazon.pl line 335. What is it, and how do I fix?

Dave Bitton
August 3, 2002 9:39 PM

I solved the prob. $cachdir in amazon.pl needs to be "plugins/cache" and not "./cache". I added a use CGI::Carp and then carp'ed the `pwd`, and it's the root MT dir, and not plugin. Once I added plugins/ to the dir, it works. :)

August 3, 2002 10:00 PM

It sounds like you put the "cache" directory in the wrong place. The cache directory should be directly under the mt directory, not inside the plugins directory. I reread the installation instructions and they were ambiguous, so I altered them to better explain where the cache directory goes. Sorry for any grief this caused.

Adriaan Tijsseling
August 4, 2002 5:40 AM

I'm getting the same error: Build error in template 'Main Index': Error in tag: Error in tag: closego back MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x81eb094) print() on closed filehandle MT::CACHE at plugins/amazon.pl line 335. MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x81eb094) print() on closed filehandle MT::CACHE at plugins/amazon.pl line 335. MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x81eb094) print() on closed filehandle MT::CACHE at plugins/amazon.pl line 335. MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x81eb094) Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at [..]/lib/MT/Builder.pm line 76. I have the cache in the right directory (directly under the MT dir). My template contains the following array: random amazon list " target="_top">, , " target="_top">, " target="_top">, , " target="_top">, , Can you help me out here?

Adriaan Tijsseling
August 4, 2002 5:50 AM

*sigh* I see all kinds of brackets were converted. Oh well, I fixed one thing: By setting the permissions of the cache to 776, I got rid of the "MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x81eb094) print() on closed filehandle MT::CACHE at plugins/amazon.pl line 335.", but I'm still getting the "MT::App::CMS=HASH(0x81eb094) Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at [..]/lib/MT/Builder.pm line 76." error. I use a repetition of 4 tags, each with a different search string. I notice it is saved ok in the cache folder. (Btw, this did work well in the first version of MTAmazon.)

Adriaan Tijsseling
August 4, 2002 5:56 AM

My apologies! I didn't see that the newest version is hosted somewhere else. Version 2.0.2 solved my problem. So, please ignore or delete my previous comments.

Carla
August 8, 2002 5:59 AM

Could you please give some functional examples, with their output?

August 9, 2002 9:32 AM

I've posted three sample templates along with the output they produce at http://kalsey.com/blog/2002/08/mtamazon_sample_templates.stm

Michael Bravo
May 28, 2003 3:53 PM

It is probably my faulty understanding of MT plugin functionality, but... is there a way to use MTAmazon tags in the text of posts, and not in the templates? Judging by the existence of text formatting plugins, it seems that processing of actual entry contents is possible...

May 28, 2003 8:46 PM

MT does not process tags inside entry text. It doesn't even look to see if any are there. Text formatting plugins work differently. The MT engine passes the text through the foratting plugin before writing it to the page. The only way to get MT to process tags is through the use of my process tags plugin: http://kalsey.com/2002/08/process_tags_plugin/ Make sure you read the security concerns with the plugin at http://kalsey.com/2002/08/process_tags_security_update/

Michael Bravo
May 29, 2003 6:31 AM

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice and the effort gone into your plugins. By the way, there is a typo on the process_tags plugin page ( http://kalsey.com/2002/08/process_tags_plugin/ ), where it names process_plugins attribute instead of the correct (shown just below) process_tags. Perhaps this can deconfuse someone when fixed :)

Laura in DC
November 17, 2003 3:14 PM

Is there a similar tool for blogger?

Trackback from bloomfield.me.uk
January 3, 2004 3:26 PM

MTAmazon

Excerpt: I'm having a bit of a play around with the MTAmazon plugin....

Al
November 25, 2004 3:48 PM

Is 3.0 ever going to come out?

Trackback from What's New
February 24, 2005 8:40 PM

Reading List Fix

Excerpt: A massive thanks to heyblog for a most elegant MT-Amazon workaround that has finally allowed me to start updating my...

GC
June 14, 2005 4:50 AM

Hi ... trying to install MTAmazon for the first time and MT isn't picking up the plugin. I have BookQueueToo installed which appears in the plugin list fine. When I click on that plugin I get the error: "An error occurred: Your server does not have MTPlugins::MTAmazon installed, or MTPlugins::MTAmazon requires another module that is not installed. MTPlugins::MTAmazon is required. Please consult the installation instructions for help in installing MTPlugins::MTAmazon" XML::Simple (v2.14) and LWP::UserAgent (v2.001) are both installed. amazon.pl and .mtamazon.config are in the plugins folder and MTAmazon.pm is in the extlib folder. Am I missing something? Thanks. GC.

cm
July 6, 2005 9:38 AM

hi, would it be possible to use this plugin to get all the product reviews for a particular REVIEWER at amazon, not by product?

shine
March 31, 2009 8:12 AM

Can i know the "Suggested Tags from Similar Products" Xml FIeld Name for Amazon AWs API.

The Trap of The Sales-Led Product (Dec 10)
It’s not a winning way to build a product company.
The Hidden Cost of Custom Customer Features (Dec 7)
One-off features will cost you more than you think and make your customers unhappy.
Domain expertise in Product Management (Nov 16)
When you're hiring software product managers, hire for product management skills. Looking for domain experts will reduce the pool of people you can hire and might just be worse for your product.
Strategy Means Saying No (Oct 27)
An oft-overlooked aspect of strategy is to define what you are not doing. There are lots of adjacent problems you can attack. Strategy means defining which ones you will ignore.
Understanding vision, strategy, and execution (Oct 24)
Vision is what you're trying to do. Strategy is broad strokes on how you'll get there. Execution is the tasks you complete to complete the strategy.
How to advance your Product Market Fit KPI (Oct 21)
Finding the gaps in your product that will unlock the next round of growth.
Developer Relations as Developer Success (Oct 19)
Outreach, marketing, and developer evangelism are a part of Developer Relations. But the companies that are most successful with developers spend most of their time on something else.
Developer Experience Principle 6: Easy to Maintain (Oct 17)
Keeping your product Easy to Maintain will improve the lives of your team and your customers. It will help keep your docs up to date. Your SDKs and APIs will be released in sync. Your tooling and overall experience will shine.

© 1999-2021 Adam Kalsey.