Business lessons from the Kitchen

This article is over 10 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’ve become hooked on Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares, the BBC show where restaurateur Gordon Ramsay spends a week with a struggling restaurant, trying to turn it around. It’s a show full of business lessons, from finding a market, to pricing, to product presentation, to accounting.

I’m going to be pulling some of the quotes from the show and posting them here over the next few days. Today’s is...

Don’t put your ego before your customers.

Said to an award winning chef who’s fancy pretentious menu and sky high prices scared away customers.

Michael Buckbee
June 9, 2008 9:12 PM

I'll second your recommendation for the show. I was surprised to find the BBC version so focused on the business aspects of things vs the more emotional "Hells Kitchen" version of the Food Network show.

Josh
June 16, 2008 3:11 PM

I completely agree, hence the name of my blog "Don't Eat the Shrimp." This is from my first employer who had the rule that at client receptions employees weren't allowed to touch the shrimp trays until the clients were all gone.

Nichole
June 27, 2008 7:59 AM

I have been quite impressed on how the BBC shows have really closed ground from what they used to be. I remember watching many of their shows with my parents like who's line is it and they always put out quality shows if you were willing to sacrifice resolution and the camera work the states are used to. I have taken to this show as well and have heard of a few more that will be coming out soon. have you heard of ashton kutcher buying a BBc show?

Elaine
July 19, 2008 11:21 AM

That quote is very good advice, no matter what the business! Thanks for sharing!

Stephen Baugh
August 17, 2008 4:29 PM

Love the show to ... of all the people I'd love to spend some time with Gordon would be one of the.

Joachim
August 18, 2008 2:57 AM

Thanks for sharing this business! so ling joachim

Dave
November 11, 2008 11:55 AM

This should be posted up in every office especially all call centers. Customer service is often preached, but seems to be less and less practiced. By the way I have heard of this show, and tried finding it, but later realized comcast does not carry BBC in my area :(

Lenen
December 15, 2008 7:59 AM

Besides the fact that he's extremely funny he does have a perfect business perspective. One of the most important elements of small business success, is the distinguishing quality of practicing admirable business ethics. He teaches them to purify the heart and soul of the company's culture by getting them back to the roots.

• California State Fair The California State Fair lets you buy tickets in advance from their Web site. That's good. But the site is a horror house of usability problems.
  • Best of Newly Digital There have been dozens of Newly Digital entries from all over the world. Here are some of the best.
  • Newly Digital Newly Digital is an experimental writing project. I've asked 11 people to write about their early experiences with computing technology and post their essays on their weblogs. So go read, enjoy, and then contribute. This collection is open to you. Write up your own story, and then let the world know about it.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.

Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.
Do you need a 1:1 if you’re regularly communicating with your team? (Dec 28)
You’re simply not having deep meaningful conversation about the process of work in hallway conversations or in your chat apps.
What agenda items should a manager bring to a 1:1? (Dec 23)
At least 80% of a 1:1 agenda should be driven by your report, but if you also to use this time to work on things with them, then you’ll have better meetings.
Handling “I don’t have anything to talk about” in your 1:1s (Dec 21)
When someone says they have nothing to discuss, they’re almost always thinking too narrowly.
What should you talk about in a 1:1? (Dec 19)
Who sets the agenda? What should you discuss, and what should you avoid discussing?

Twitter, etc: akalsey