Business lessons from the Kitchen

This article is over 10 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’ve become hooked on Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares, the BBC show where restaurateur Gordon Ramsay spends a week with a struggling restaurant, trying to turn it around. It’s a show full of business lessons, from finding a market, to pricing, to product presentation, to accounting.

I’m going to be pulling some of the quotes from the show and posting them here over the next few days. Today’s is...

Don’t put your ego before your customers.

Said to an award winning chef who’s fancy pretentious menu and sky high prices scared away customers.

Michael Buckbee
June 9, 2008 9:12 PM

I'll second your recommendation for the show. I was surprised to find the BBC version so focused on the business aspects of things vs the more emotional "Hells Kitchen" version of the Food Network show.

Josh
June 16, 2008 3:11 PM

I completely agree, hence the name of my blog "Don't Eat the Shrimp." This is from my first employer who had the rule that at client receptions employees weren't allowed to touch the shrimp trays until the clients were all gone.

Nichole
June 27, 2008 7:59 AM

I have been quite impressed on how the BBC shows have really closed ground from what they used to be. I remember watching many of their shows with my parents like who's line is it and they always put out quality shows if you were willing to sacrifice resolution and the camera work the states are used to. I have taken to this show as well and have heard of a few more that will be coming out soon. have you heard of ashton kutcher buying a BBc show?

Elaine
July 19, 2008 11:21 AM

That quote is very good advice, no matter what the business! Thanks for sharing!

Stephen Baugh
August 17, 2008 4:29 PM

Love the show to ... of all the people I'd love to spend some time with Gordon would be one of the.

Joachim
August 18, 2008 2:57 AM

Thanks for sharing this business! so ling joachim

Dave
November 11, 2008 11:55 AM

This should be posted up in every office especially all call centers. Customer service is often preached, but seems to be less and less practiced. By the way I have heard of this show, and tried finding it, but later realized comcast does not carry BBC in my area :(

Lenen
December 15, 2008 7:59 AM

Besides the fact that he's extremely funny he does have a perfect business perspective. One of the most important elements of small business success, is the distinguishing quality of practicing admirable business ethics. He teaches them to purify the heart and soul of the company's culture by getting them back to the roots.

• The mouse and me Not only is the mouse very destructive, but it's evaded all attempts to capture or kill it so far.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.
  • The importance of being good Starbucks is pulling CD burning stations from their stores. That says something interesting about their brand.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Where do the RSS ad startups fit in? Yahoo's RSS advertising service could spell trouble for pure-play RSS advertising services unless they adapt their business model.

Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?

Elsewhere