Business lessons from the Kitchen

This article is over 9 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’ve become hooked on Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares, the BBC show where restaurateur Gordon Ramsay spends a week with a struggling restaurant, trying to turn it around. It’s a show full of business lessons, from finding a market, to pricing, to product presentation, to accounting.

I’m going to be pulling some of the quotes from the show and posting them here over the next few days. Today’s is...

Don’t put your ego before your customers.

Said to an award winning chef who’s fancy pretentious menu and sky high prices scared away customers.

Michael Buckbee
June 9, 2008 9:12 PM

I'll second your recommendation for the show. I was surprised to find the BBC version so focused on the business aspects of things vs the more emotional "Hells Kitchen" version of the Food Network show.

Josh
June 16, 2008 3:11 PM

I completely agree, hence the name of my blog "Don't Eat the Shrimp." This is from my first employer who had the rule that at client receptions employees weren't allowed to touch the shrimp trays until the clients were all gone.

Nichole
June 27, 2008 7:59 AM

I have been quite impressed on how the BBC shows have really closed ground from what they used to be. I remember watching many of their shows with my parents like who's line is it and they always put out quality shows if you were willing to sacrifice resolution and the camera work the states are used to. I have taken to this show as well and have heard of a few more that will be coming out soon. have you heard of ashton kutcher buying a BBc show?

Elaine
July 19, 2008 11:21 AM

That quote is very good advice, no matter what the business! Thanks for sharing!

Stephen Baugh
August 17, 2008 4:29 PM

Love the show to ... of all the people I'd love to spend some time with Gordon would be one of the.

Joachim
August 18, 2008 2:57 AM

Thanks for sharing this business! so ling joachim

Dave
November 11, 2008 11:55 AM

This should be posted up in every office especially all call centers. Customer service is often preached, but seems to be less and less practiced. By the way I have heard of this show, and tried finding it, but later realized comcast does not carry BBC in my area :(

Lenen
December 15, 2008 7:59 AM

Besides the fact that he's extremely funny he does have a perfect business perspective. One of the most important elements of small business success, is the distinguishing quality of practicing admirable business ethics. He teaches them to purify the heart and soul of the company's culture by getting them back to the roots.

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere