SSH on my iPhone - easy

This article is over 10 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

SSH on my iPhone I’d been wanting to play with some of the cool iPhone hacks, but most of the tools available are for Intel Macs. For the next few months, I’m still using a G4 PowerBook, so I’d been stymied. Using Nullriver’s Installer.app, however, I’ve been able to install several apps, including a VT100 terminal and OpenSSH.

You can’t use the SSH client to do any serious work—if you switch away from the terminal app your session closes. That means if your phone rings in the midst of a session, you’re done. But for emergency use out on the road, you can’t beat an SSH client in your pocket.

Brad Choate
August 23, 2007 2:45 PM

if you switcha way from the terminal app your session closes. I recommend using screen on the server you're connecting to so the session is at least preserved on that end.

David Hopkins
September 14, 2007 3:59 AM

Impressive. Shame about the hang up. It certainly is a useful thing to have when your not in front of a computer.

Kai
April 9, 2008 12:27 PM

Connect and type 'screen -S iphone', then do your work. If you get disconnected, reconnect and type 'screen -R iphone' and pick up where you left off. If you are doing serious work over ANY WiFi connection and aren't using screen, you are asking for it. My laptop has dropped connection from the WAP during various crucial tasks on my Linux server, but screen has saved me from having a mess on my hands several times.

April 9, 2008 12:36 PM

It's not so much having the processes keep running when I get disconnected. The thing that drags on me is the process of reconnecting. I'm hesitant to add ssh keys to my iphone. And typing complex passwords is a pain in the ass.

Sebastien
April 19, 2008 5:06 PM

I'm a big fan of the SSH function. I use it on a daily basis, mostly to change backgrounds or to upload pdf docs to my phone.

Richard Metcalfe
June 18, 2008 2:34 PM

Hi, this sure seams to be a handy touch, hopefully they brink out an upgrade which stores what your doing if you have a Pone call.

none
August 6, 2008 1:30 AM

Im having a problem using screen. I want to be able to close my connection, but am unable to because I can't use ctrl+a d or figure out a way to close the ssh app. Any suggestions?

Abz
August 14, 2008 5:49 PM

same prob, i can initiate a connection with something, but come close it , im screwed.. any help is appreciated !

Sam Logon
November 21, 2008 3:06 AM

Did anyone ever solve these issues?

ixi
September 3, 2009 10:28 PM

"swipe" up towards the top right for about an inch, it'll give you the ctrl+c sequence, also type exit in ssh to exit the ssh session.

• Google on the desktop Google picks up Picasa, giving them an important foothold on people's PCs.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Pitching Bloggers Forget what you learned in your PR classes. Start acting like a human instead of a marketer, and the humans behind the blogs will respond.
  • Writing Realistic Job Descriptions Publish a job listing like this one and you are virtually guaranteeing that you won't get qualified applicants for the position.

Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?

Elsewhere