SSH on my iPhone - easy

This article is over 11 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

SSH on my iPhone I’d been wanting to play with some of the cool iPhone hacks, but most of the tools available are for Intel Macs. For the next few months, I’m still using a G4 PowerBook, so I’d been stymied. Using Nullriver’s Installer.app, however, I’ve been able to install several apps, including a VT100 terminal and OpenSSH.

You can’t use the SSH client to do any serious work—if you switch away from the terminal app your session closes. That means if your phone rings in the midst of a session, you’re done. But for emergency use out on the road, you can’t beat an SSH client in your pocket.

Brad Choate
August 23, 2007 2:45 PM

if you switcha way from the terminal app your session closes. I recommend using screen on the server you're connecting to so the session is at least preserved on that end.

David Hopkins
September 14, 2007 3:59 AM

Impressive. Shame about the hang up. It certainly is a useful thing to have when your not in front of a computer.

Kai
April 9, 2008 12:27 PM

Connect and type 'screen -S iphone', then do your work. If you get disconnected, reconnect and type 'screen -R iphone' and pick up where you left off. If you are doing serious work over ANY WiFi connection and aren't using screen, you are asking for it. My laptop has dropped connection from the WAP during various crucial tasks on my Linux server, but screen has saved me from having a mess on my hands several times.

April 9, 2008 12:36 PM

It's not so much having the processes keep running when I get disconnected. The thing that drags on me is the process of reconnecting. I'm hesitant to add ssh keys to my iphone. And typing complex passwords is a pain in the ass.

Sebastien
April 19, 2008 5:06 PM

I'm a big fan of the SSH function. I use it on a daily basis, mostly to change backgrounds or to upload pdf docs to my phone.

Richard Metcalfe
June 18, 2008 2:34 PM

Hi, this sure seams to be a handy touch, hopefully they brink out an upgrade which stores what your doing if you have a Pone call.

none
August 6, 2008 1:30 AM

Im having a problem using screen. I want to be able to close my connection, but am unable to because I can't use ctrl+a d or figure out a way to close the ssh app. Any suggestions?

Abz
August 14, 2008 5:49 PM

same prob, i can initiate a connection with something, but come close it , im screwed.. any help is appreciated !

Sam Logon
November 21, 2008 3:06 AM

Did anyone ever solve these issues?

ixi
September 3, 2009 10:28 PM

"swipe" up towards the top right for about an inch, it'll give you the ctrl+c sequence, also type exit in ssh to exit the ssh session.

• California State Fair The California State Fair lets you buy tickets in advance from their Web site. That's good. But the site is a horror house of usability problems.
  • Best of Newly Digital There have been dozens of Newly Digital entries from all over the world. Here are some of the best.
  • Newly Digital Newly Digital is an experimental writing project. I've asked 11 people to write about their early experiences with computing technology and post their essays on their weblogs. So go read, enjoy, and then contribute. This collection is open to you. Write up your own story, and then let the world know about it.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.

Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.
Do you need a 1:1 if you’re regularly communicating with your team? (Dec 28)
You’re simply not having deep meaningful conversation about the process of work in hallway conversations or in your chat apps.
What agenda items should a manager bring to a 1:1? (Dec 23)
At least 80% of a 1:1 agenda should be driven by your report, but if you also to use this time to work on things with them, then you’ll have better meetings.
Handling “I don’t have anything to talk about” in your 1:1s (Dec 21)
When someone says they have nothing to discuss, they’re almost always thinking too narrowly.
What should you talk about in a 1:1? (Dec 19)
Who sets the agenda? What should you discuss, and what should you avoid discussing?

Twitter, etc: akalsey