Gregarius

This article is over 13 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

It all started with some concerns about the security of Bloglines. I like web-based readers, but I was ready to graduate to something that I host. I settled on Gregarius, partly because Phil Ringnalda likes it. If Phil likes something, there must be a reason.

After using Gregarius for a few days, I became irritated with the default view. Links looked like regular text instead of a link. The text was gray on a gray background. For someone who spends at least an hour a day in my feed reader, that wouldn’t do at all. But this was open source, so I hacked the stylesheets and made it a little more readable.

I started looking over the bug tracker and Subversion commit logs and found shiny new features I wanted to try. So I moved to the bleeding edge and started running the latest code straight from subversion, instructing my server to grab the newest every day.

Then I started finding bugs, as you’re apt to do when you run development code. Soon I was fixing said bugs and submitting patches. I joined the developer’s mailing list and started lurking in the IRC room to keep track of what was going on.

My CSS hacks evolved into a full-blown theme, although I was the only one using it. When the developers were looking for themes for some testing, I sent mine over. Before I knew it I was offering advice and such to the developers.

Today I officially joined the development team. I’m going to be focusing on usability and making Gregarius easy to understand, use, and install.

Want to try my theme? Download simplicity.0.9.zip (It’s really made for Firefox. If you use another browser, you might not be happy with it).

screenshot of Simplicity theme

BillSaysThis
March 6, 2006 6:51 PM

No working demo?

Gen Kanai
March 7, 2006 3:00 AM

Adam, not sure if you are familar with it but Fazal Majid is building an RSS aggregator called Temboz. www.temboz.com Would love to hear your take on it. I'm still wedded to bloglines.

Phil
March 7, 2006 6:09 AM

What are the concerns about Bloglines security?

March 7, 2006 8:37 AM

Phil: Several things. First off, they're vulnerable to a few XSS attack vectors that could allow an attacker to gain control over your account. It's possible these have been fixed by now, but last fall this was a problem, and continued to be a problem for months after it was reported. Secondly, I'm wary about putting private feeds (like internal bug databases) into a public aggregator, even without these vulnerabilities.

Maxx
March 8, 2006 8:06 AM

Thanks for the theme. I've had a similar situation with Gregarius, where I loved it, but thought it looked quite bad. I tried to play around with the style sheets but I'm not very knowledgeable about CSS. I noticed that we can now change settings of a theme using the Admin interface of Gregarius. That could be an awesome feature, to let us change fonts size and such. Great theme! Thanks

Johan Svensson
March 8, 2006 2:56 PM

Oh, this looks nice. The application at least, I'm somewhat undecided on the default theme. Going to give it a spin.

Sameer
March 9, 2006 10:01 AM

Welcome aboard. The simplicity theme looks really nice.

• Movie marketing on a budget Mark Cuban's looking for more cost effective ways to market movies.
  • California State Fair The California State Fair lets you buy tickets in advance from their Web site. That's good. But the site is a horror house of usability problems.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.

Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.
Do you need a 1:1 if you’re regularly communicating with your team? (Dec 28)
You’re simply not having deep meaningful conversation about the process of work in hallway conversations or in your chat apps.
What agenda items should a manager bring to a 1:1? (Dec 23)
At least 80% of a 1:1 agenda should be driven by your report, but if you also to use this time to work on things with them, then you’ll have better meetings.

Twitter, etc: akalsey