Gregarius

This article is over 11 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

It all started with some concerns about the security of Bloglines. I like web-based readers, but I was ready to graduate to something that I host. I settled on Gregarius, partly because Phil Ringnalda likes it. If Phil likes something, there must be a reason.

After using Gregarius for a few days, I became irritated with the default view. Links looked like regular text instead of a link. The text was gray on a gray background. For someone who spends at least an hour a day in my feed reader, that wouldn’t do at all. But this was open source, so I hacked the stylesheets and made it a little more readable.

I started looking over the bug tracker and Subversion commit logs and found shiny new features I wanted to try. So I moved to the bleeding edge and started running the latest code straight from subversion, instructing my server to grab the newest every day.

Then I started finding bugs, as you’re apt to do when you run development code. Soon I was fixing said bugs and submitting patches. I joined the developer’s mailing list and started lurking in the IRC room to keep track of what was going on.

My CSS hacks evolved into a full-blown theme, although I was the only one using it. When the developers were looking for themes for some testing, I sent mine over. Before I knew it I was offering advice and such to the developers.

Today I officially joined the development team. I’m going to be focusing on usability and making Gregarius easy to understand, use, and install.

Want to try my theme? Download simplicity.0.9.zip (It’s really made for Firefox. If you use another browser, you might not be happy with it).

screenshot of Simplicity theme

BillSaysThis
March 6, 2006 6:51 PM

No working demo?

Gen Kanai
March 7, 2006 3:00 AM

Adam, not sure if you are familar with it but Fazal Majid is building an RSS aggregator called Temboz. www.temboz.com Would love to hear your take on it. I'm still wedded to bloglines.

Phil
March 7, 2006 6:09 AM

What are the concerns about Bloglines security?

March 7, 2006 8:37 AM

Phil: Several things. First off, they're vulnerable to a few XSS attack vectors that could allow an attacker to gain control over your account. It's possible these have been fixed by now, but last fall this was a problem, and continued to be a problem for months after it was reported. Secondly, I'm wary about putting private feeds (like internal bug databases) into a public aggregator, even without these vulnerabilities.

Maxx
March 8, 2006 8:06 AM

Thanks for the theme. I've had a similar situation with Gregarius, where I loved it, but thought it looked quite bad. I tried to play around with the style sheets but I'm not very knowledgeable about CSS. I noticed that we can now change settings of a theme using the Admin interface of Gregarius. That could be an awesome feature, to let us change fonts size and such. Great theme! Thanks

Johan Svensson
March 8, 2006 2:56 PM

Oh, this looks nice. The application at least, I'm somewhat undecided on the default theme. Going to give it a spin.

Sameer
March 9, 2006 10:01 AM

Welcome aboard. The simplicity theme looks really nice.

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere