Browser size hijacking

This article is over 11 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Anyone know of a Firefox extension (or have a handy greasemonkey script) that will prevent web sites from changing the size of my browser window?

Whether the work of arrogant web designers who apparently know better than me what size my browser should be set to, or designers to lazy and stupid to embrace the medium they’re designing for, these sites that take over aspects of my browsing preferences and change the way I choose to view the web.

I’ve had enough and I’d like a way to stop them.

DarkWulf
March 29, 2006 11:28 PM

Well, unless things have changed, its an actual preference in Firefox for me. (Mind you, I'm using an older version) So... tools->options, then web features, and theres an "advanced" button next to the enable javascript checkbox. In the popup that button spawns theres a list of checkboxes and one of the checkboxes is for "move/resize windows". Uncheck. smile.

March 29, 2006 11:39 PM

Okay, I need to be more specific. Pop-up windows should be allowed to resize. Windows I open should not.

Jemaleddin
March 30, 2006 8:00 AM

Well, javascript windows that are opened at a given size will still work - they just can't change size. I only know of a few sites that are dynamically sizing javascript popups after they load - and I sure wish they'd quit it.

BillSaysThis
March 30, 2006 8:22 AM

The very first option in the Enable JavaScript Advanced dialog on the Content tab of FF 1.5.x Options specifies if JS should be able to resize _existing_ windows. Isn't that what you want?

Clay Loveless
March 30, 2006 3:32 PM

For those using Firefox on Mac OS X, you'd check in Preferences -> Content Next to the Enable JavaScript checkbox, click the Advanced ... button. In the sheet that drops down, uncheck "Allow scripts to Move or resize existing windows"

Chris
April 3, 2006 5:33 PM

try this in the address bar type 'about:config' in the filter type 'resiz' (note no e) try changeing the values of dom.disable_window_move_resize dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable I dont know if this will help, dont know a page i can test it on.

Nick
April 14, 2006 6:33 AM

Chris was right. Change dom.disablewindowopenfeature.resizable to true

adam
April 24, 2008 10:52 AM

nice!! Changing dom.disablewindowopenfeature.resizable to true worked!!! Great find! Thanks

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere