Death of a rodent

This article is over 13 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

My battle with the rodent appears to be over.

The poison is what got it. After installing a variety of traps in a number of shapes and sizes it became obvious that the beast wasn’t going to be captured that way. He showed no interest in peanut butter or other bait, prefering instead to chew apart something made of plastic behind my dashboard.

Two weeks ago I noticed that some of the poison pellet packets had been gnawed on. A few days later, there was more poison activity. I went for overkill, putting several more packages of poison out, even using different brands to ensure the kill.

Because of the extent of the damage, I had started to suspect that the mouse was actually a rat. But nothing prepared me for what I actually found. Laying on the garage floor near the door was a nearly lifeless rat the size of a small cat. I scooped his quivering body up and unceremoniously dumped him in the trash.

Brant
December 7, 2005 1:44 PM

Pictures Please!

Marie
December 7, 2005 4:35 PM

OMG. Congratulations. I wonder if its size was because it was bloated from the poison. You don't suppose it was a possum, do you?

A. Nony Mouse
December 15, 2005 1:01 PM

My Mom had pet rats as a kid (four of them over the years) and all of hers were the size of cats, and she insists (although I don't believe her) that they can purr too. So yeah, they get that big. Even if you don't believe that, I'm from NY, and they get that big, trust me.

Chris
October 18, 2006 8:28 AM

Such a pity you couldnt catch it any other way! Poor little ratty :(

noway
November 16, 2006 8:02 PM

We currently have a rat inside my husband's 2006 7 series BMW. At first, we thought it was a mouse and put traps out. This sucker basically ate at his own pesonal peanut butter buffet for days and destroyed a few traps in the process too. Then my husband went outside with a flashlight at night and looked at the engine. That little shit rat was there laying all warm and cozy next to the engine. We got the poison packs, put them strategically around the car and are waiting for the sucker to get at them and die. Then it will be time to see how much damage the mouse caused to the electrical system.

Ryen Esquivel
January 5, 2007 5:00 PM

I have a question really. I have mice in my garage. I noticed one run across one day so I bought some posion for mice. 2 Weeks later I found it. I was so excited I finally got it. But then 2 days later an other I found in the middle of the garage floor. Then the next day another one in the middle of the garage floor. My question is just me being way to curious. Does anyone know why we find them in the middle of the floor and we never just smell them later rotting in a hole somewhere. Like why do they die in the middle like that?? Its crazy. I just want to know and now my mind is going crazy on not knowing the answer. Also...how many do I have? Is there like an entire village somewhere in the garage? Im scared. Please help me answer these questions...

sienna
January 28, 2007 1:28 PM

Your post was the best i found upon googling for 'mouse in car'. i've tried traps, i had my car cleaned to get food smells out, and today the little bugger has chewed through my passenger seat, a hole the size of a dime. ARRGGGGGG. Poison it is, my friend, poison it is.

Arc
December 2, 2009 3:23 PM

This does not help me at all in figuring out how to get the rat out ALIVE. My poor pet rat Voodoo escaped in my trunk :'(

• Movie marketing on a budget Mark Cuban's looking for more cost effective ways to market movies.
  • California State Fair The California State Fair lets you buy tickets in advance from their Web site. That's good. But the site is a horror house of usability problems.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.

Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.
Do you need a 1:1 if you’re regularly communicating with your team? (Dec 28)
You’re simply not having deep meaningful conversation about the process of work in hallway conversations or in your chat apps.
What agenda items should a manager bring to a 1:1? (Dec 23)
At least 80% of a 1:1 agenda should be driven by your report, but if you also to use this time to work on things with them, then you’ll have better meetings.

Twitter, etc: akalsey