ACL surgery

This article is over 9 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

If you’ve tried to get in contact with me in the last few days and haven’t gotten a response, it might be a few days before I get back to you. I had the ACL replacement surgery yesterday morning and it’s going to be a few days before I’m back to normal habits.

fox
December 8, 2008 3:48 PM

sorry that was five wks post op that he played his first game and he a 37 yard field goal.He is now nine wks and is almost as good as before. emotionally this took its toll. the coaches were not resceptive of him coming back so soon so that also lead to dissapointment as he would have liked to play more.this lars surgery was amazing

kevin
December 12, 2008 6:24 PM

iam 6 weeks post op from my cadaver acl surgery and Iam still limping pretty good and dont have full range of motion. I have been going to pt twice a week and results have been slow. saw surgeon last week and he said if i dont improve in a month he will have to operate again to see if "arthrofibrosis" is present. Any body ever have this? My knee still feels very tight across the top is still swollen and hard to bend. Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Debbie S
December 14, 2008 3:10 AM

Why so much frenzy about rushing back into intensive sports? Isn't it better to make sure that the knee is healed and in complete working condition? There is so much that has happened in that joint, after any kind of operation, that is not visible from the outside. Are the risks really worth it? (This is health we are talking about after all). Is "rarely complaining about pain" OK? ...just a thought...

fox
December 28, 2008 10:32 PM

why the frenzy, because he is 17 and his senior year and it was important to him. and of course we wee scared to death and still wonder. Regardless of what kind of surgery, he would have pain. as parents it was not a easy choice to make but after researching we went with the artificial ligament so he could play his senior year and will play college next year. He is doing great and is going snowboarding this wk and will be in a national kicking competion in Las Vegas in Jan. if he had the surgery here he still would not be kicking. it is four months post op if anyone has questions feel free to email me. cbpafox@aol.com

Tiffany
September 1, 2009 8:23 PM

I tore my ACL going on 2 months now from an ATV accident. I have no health insurance, but I already paid for the doc visits, and my MRI showing that, Yep, I COMPLTLEY tore it in half, along with fractures in my tibia bone which my doc told me I had to stay on crutches for the past 8 weeks to heal first before I could even think of surgery. Oddly enough, my mensicus was intact for such a hard blow. The Doc I was seeing was in Florida where I went to heal up for a while with the help of my parents. Well, I am now living back in Texas, and I missed my last doc apt., so Im not even sure if I should be off crutches, but I cant stand them anymore! Plus i really dont want muscle atrophy kicking in! I have never hurt myself before, and Im not active in sports or anything, although I am just 25, and DEF NOT lazy. The doctor I was seeing never mentioned pre PT...looks like its a big deal to do. My question is would it be worth coming out of pocket for pre PT or should I just get the surgery and then do PT? Im sared to be put under and go under the knife!

Melanie
September 3, 2009 5:41 AM

Tiffany, you will definitely benefit from doing pre-op PT. But, you may be able to do it on your own or at a gym so as to keep costs to a minimum. You could probably get a home program from a PT. That's what I did.

Roberto
December 14, 2009 1:52 PM

With all of the people who have submitted on this blog throughout the years, I wonder if anyone can speak to their experience of reconstructing the ACL with Tibialis allograft, and how it fared while playing football in High School or College. Did the allograft hold up? How long did it take to get back to playing football? My HS football paying son recently had an Double Bundle Tibialis allograft ACL reconstruction.

Ash
December 18, 2009 12:48 PM

I tore my acl and lcl playing volleyball. im in the 10th grade and was really scared. i have never had anything major happen to me. i had surgery september1. the first week sucked so bad. im currently going to rehab, hoping to get my leg/knee stronger for softball season. i have a college looking at me, and ive be keeping in contact with them, and im scared that if i tell them about my knee, they wont be interested. im really scared, that i wont be able to catch again. is there a chance i will ever be able to catch again?

Lorelei
January 7, 2010 6:58 AM

I have a different story than most here, I severed my acl in a moped accident (age 18 am now 47) had repair with an allograph at age 42 and meniscus repair 6 weeks after allograph surgery. So I lived 25+ years with NO acl and learned what I could and couldn't do and accepted my limitations. I now live with those limitations the worse being because my knee was so instable fo so many years I now am a total knee replacement candidate ( have to wait till age 50 for this ) and because I always favored the one knee my other knee is trashed. If I could go back in time, I would fix it immediately and not wait because the effects of the collateral damage just aren't worth it

Miller
February 24, 2010 8:57 PM

I just had ACL reconstruction surgery in 2/9/10. So I'm 14 days post op. I tore my ACL playing tennis in July 2007 but was unable to have the surgery @ that time due to a blood clot in my "bad" knee (DVT). I had PT instead to strengthen my knee & it felt pretty good but mentally I held back from everything I did because I was scared of additional damage. In any case a lot went on moved to another state & I messed the knee up again - washing the dog of all things. So I found a good OD and scheduled the surgery for this winter. I did research on the graft and went with the hamstring autograph because it was proven to be just as strong as the platela tendent with less long term pain. So far so good. Healing well, staples out, started PT day 3 post op, full extension, ROM about 85 deg (additional swelling due to being on Lovenox). Was able to walk with a brace since day 9 w/o crutches. Things I learned: the process is exhausting because everything takes more energy, your mind is ready to get back to normal before your body is, staying positive works wonders as do others prayers. Thanks 4 this blog. It's an aswome resource.

Melissa
March 3, 2010 2:00 PM

I really thought that reading these posts start to finish would help me make my decision of what type of surgery to opt for, but I'm still very confused! (and I have to decide... yesterday!) I tore my ACL snowboarding a month ago, thought it was a bad sprain until 2 weeks ago when I had the MRI done. My doc told me that most 'elite' athletes will do the patellar graft and that for me considering the cadaver route was probably best. Thing is, I'm 27, I play pretty rough and I'm active in triathlons and adventure racing and I won't give up contact sports, winter sports, etc... Perhaps I'm not an 'elite' athlete, but i don't want to sell myself short. Also, I need to be back on feet pretty soon b/c I'm a bartender and I can't afford to miss work for more than 2 weeks or so after surgery. It seems like the healing process is a great deal shorter with the cadaver route. (this a bonus because my insurance is pretty lame and won't cover very much post-op physical therapy) I'm so confused! Hoping I'll have a revelation tonight! :o)

Lisa
March 6, 2010 11:40 AM

I tore my ACL 2 years ago and opted not to have the surgery. I did well until around 6 months ago when I noticed my good knee hurt a lot. Fearing ruining my good knee, I had the ACL reconstruction 2 weeks ago using my patellar ligament. Everything is going well. I am off the crutches and only use my brace if I know I will be walking a lot. Will be starting PT next week and don't regret my decision at all.

Ryan
June 18, 2010 5:42 PM

Tore ACL off femur bone while skiing March 2010. Got reconstructive ACL surgery this past Wednesday (6/16/10). Got tendon from donor. Am in extreme pain!! Just started getting painful spasms down my knee and through the front of my leg, on down to my ankle. Within the past hour have developed a slight fever of 99.4. Waiting to hear from my doctor at the moment!

July 17, 2010 8:31 AM

I am going into my 4th month since surgery. I have just started horseback riding on flat. I went to a show and had absolutely no pain but now it is coming back. I go to PT for 3 hours 2x a week and the gym everyday I DONT have PT. The first 2 weeks after surgery was absolutely terrible, the pain meds made me sick to my stomach and I was always exhuasted and my knee always bothered me in some way. At first I cried everynight... After the 2 weeks I started to get over it and relly jsut work on getting back b/c everyday I am closer to being back on my horse fully or back on the soccer field. The past months I have been happy and hanging out with friends not thinking about hjow much longer I have to go... now I am starting to get ancy and frusterated again. I am not trying to be cocky but I have always been the best player on my team for soccer... I am going into High School and my sister is a senior... The coach has known me since I started middle school and I was always prepared to start freshman year and my goal was to start the first ever highschool game. I have now torn my ACL and will never be able to complete that goal. I am also startingg to worry all my friends will be better than me now that they have had 6 months to prac while I havent touched a soccer ball in months. PT is starting to get frusterating but I know things will get better and soon enough I will be back playing sports. I am just so worried I will tear it again and go through all of this again but be way more depressed. My advice to anyone who tears their ACL is to think in the moment.. dont keep dwelling on how many months/days you have left...

Ashley
October 14, 2010 10:39 AM

I wrote on here Feb 24, 2005....I tore my ACL in 2003 did not want surgery becasue I would be out of sports, it was the best thing that i had ever done, I went to see the Dr in beginning of July, he got me in 8 days later for my surgery. If you get it done, do not try to push it, honestly I joined the swim team at college and it was free PT becasue it's so good for it. Good Luck to all....

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 579 comments here.

Aereo: a parable (Jun 26)
Here's why people who understand both technology and copyright law think the Supreme Court's Aereo decision defies common sense.
The birth of cubicle hell (Apr 29)
Where do cubicles come from?
Double Opt-In helps you (Apr 2)
A simple reason why double opt-in is a good thing for marketers.
Make the most of opportunities (Mar 5)
Often, part of success is being in the right place at the right time. What will you do with the opportunity when it happens?
Email as a model for future mobile phone service (Feb 10)
What if your phone wasn't tied to your phone number?
MySQL inadequecies (Feb 9)
This guy seriously hates MySQL and helps you understand how to use it better.
invisible Fence (Mar 22)
The New York Times has a paywall now. Sorta. If you don't choose to ignore it.
Black status icon for Chrometa (Mar 17)
Replacing the status icon of Chrometa

Elsewhere