Carmel Coffee Marketing

This article is over 15 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

The owner of Caffe Cardinale, the Carmel coffee place I visited last July for the WiFi access, just found my blog entry on the subject. He emailed to thank me for the plug and told me he’s sending me a free pound of coffee and a logoed travel mug. And next time I’m in Carmel, he says, the WiFi’s free. That pretty much guaranteed him another mention on this site.

That’s smart marketing. Find happy satisfied customers who tell others about their experience and turn them into fans.

Thorn Vandevelde
December 5, 2003 4:04 PM

Nice, but if I were you I'd try to sell him a web site too ;-) The current one looks so 90ies and I also reckon that a coffee company is a great subject for a website. The site could certainly do with a more modern, polished look as well as a standards-based approach, boosting accessibility.

Rich
December 6, 2003 7:07 AM

It's so hard for most miser small business owners to realize this simple yet effective concept. It's amazing how little this practice is realized.

homerjay
December 13, 2003 8:25 PM

I'm amazed more places don't offer free WiFi. I was back home in Syracuse NY, and couldn't find one place that offered it for free. I would have sat there all day, buying whatever they had (coffee, food, etc...). These are smart people.

Bruce
March 8, 2005 4:15 PM

Homerjay, I'm actually in the process of trying to open a couple new coffee houses with my brother. The first will be in Massachusetts, but I hope to have one in Syracuse, NY within a year or so as that is where I am from. Free WiFi is just one of the many offerings we have planned. I hope one day you'll be frequenting our place. As for this thread in general, I must say that Carmel Coffee clearly did the right thing. I am as bewildered as Rich is that more business' in general, not just coffee houses, don't take a little more time to think about the long range ramifications of their actions or lack of action as the case may be. Often a simple gesture speaks volumes for your business. These are the things that shape the perception you hold with the public. Regards, Coffee House Entrepreneur to be, Bruce

billy billster
December 21, 2005 6:56 PM

Coffee Pavilion - 133 E Water St - (315) 422-4040 Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub & Restaurant - 301 W Fayette St - (315) 424-1974 Clinton Square, Armory Square, Hanover Square Hotzones Broadway Coffee Cafe - 210 West Seneca Turnpike - (315)469-1234 Carousel Center/Mall Food Court - 9090 Carousel Center Drive Mama Nancy's - 512 State fair Blvd. - (315) 701-4994 Courtyard by Marriott - 6415 Yorktown Circle - (315) 432-0300 Genesee Inn Hotel - 1060 East Genesee Street - 315-476-4212 The Marx Hotel - 701 E. Genesee Stree Super 8 Motel - S. Collamer Road ALL FREE WIFI

Naga
January 30, 2008 4:48 AM

Free coffee eh? But aren't happy customers already fans to begin with? If they would do this for everyone then it'd cost them too much, so I don't know how smart it is, but it's well known that companies tend to treat some customers better than others ;)

• Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.
  • The importance of being good Starbucks is pulling CD burning stations from their stores. That says something interesting about their brand.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.
  • Where do the RSS ad startups fit in? Yahoo's RSS advertising service could spell trouble for pure-play RSS advertising services unless they adapt their business model.
  • Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.

Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.
Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s