FTP filters

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Like most Web developers, I use FTP a lot. I also use CVS to manage the files on the sites I build. So here’s where the problem comes in. CVS creates a few files and directories alongside the directories and files that make up my Web site. So when I upload a site via FTP, there are CVS and .cvsignore files all over the site.

Currently, to get around this, I run a CVS Export command to make a clean copy of the site, without any CVS directories or files. I then upload that copy of the site to the server. There are several problems with this. When I use the Tortoise CVS client to run the export, empty directories are not exported. Empty directories are often cache directories for whatever application I’m developing. The files within them aren’t stored in CVS, so the export doesn’t end up creating the directories. I have to go and add them in manually.

I also hate to run an export just to get the latest copies of two or three directories that changed. It’s easier to just copy the files over from my projects directory.

So what I need is an FTP program that will let me filter the files that get uploaded. Anything called CVS or .cvsignore wouldn’t get uploaded. Anyone got an FTP client that does this?

Arve
July 7, 2003 5:43 PM

Wouldn't a bit of clever shell scripting together with ncftpput do the job?

July 7, 2003 5:46 PM

Sure, if I was using Unix on my dev machine and I wanted to write something myself. I'm being lazy. I want a Windows GUI client that does it all for me already.

Arve
July 7, 2003 6:02 PM

Can't say I've seen any GUI programs that will do this. On the other hand: Sitecopy seems handy: http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/ - there is a windows/cygwin port.

Carlo Zottmann
July 7, 2003 11:17 PM

I recommend SmartFTP ( http://www.smartftp.com ). So far the best and most underappreciated FTP client for Windows I came across. BTW: The filter works both with simple strings and regex.

agaffin
July 8, 2003 12:11 PM

CuteFTP has filters and lets you set them permanently for specific "sites."

Nollind Whachell
July 8, 2003 2:30 PM

FTP Voyager ( http://www.ftpvoyager.com/ ) supports filters as well.

Simon Willison
July 9, 2003 11:40 AM

Just for the record, Python is a superb tool for script-style tasks on Windows. Since Python has an ftp module included in the standard library ("Batteries included") it probably wouldn't take very long to knock up a simple Python script to do this. Of course, if you haven't learnt Python yet a GUI tool would probably be a lot quicker ;)

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere