Not Radio

This article is over 15 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

To the person who’s trying a variety of URLs to find mySubscriptions.opml on my server: this blog isn’t made with Radio Userland. So you won’t find it. My subscription list isn’t public.

For those who do have public subscription lists, I’m curious why you’ve done it and what the response has been from your readership.

Luke Reeves
June 16, 2003 8:31 PM

I've been getting the exact same thing from the Feedster search engine: xx.xx.xx.xx - - [15/Jun/2003:15:34:56 -0400] "GET /mySubscriptions.opml HTTP/1.1" 404 203 "-" "Feedster Harvester/1.0; Feedster, LLC." Strange, but probably harmless.

June 16, 2003 11:59 PM

I didn't even think to look at the log files and see what was requesting that file. It's feedster all right. Scott's trying to build up his feed list. I'll bug him about changing that.

Scott Johnson
June 18, 2003 7:21 AM

Ok. We've been experimenting with this. Just a head request looking for where different aggregators store this. Why? Looking for more blogs that's all. No personally identifable information is stored. Just parsing it and grabbing the different rssurls for indexing. This is currently scheduled for a 2x per month run. That's all. And they are just head requests. We could pull down your rss feed instead and parse that for it if you prefer. UBt that only works for radio users so that's kind of lame. Scott

scott johnson
June 18, 2003 7:33 AM

Oh and I turned this off for both of you. If it comes up again its a bug and I apologize.

Phillip Harrington
June 19, 2003 9:02 PM

Scott, I thought the mySubscriptions.ompl was only radio, why are you using that *instead* of the RSS feed, since you seem to want to work with other blog tools? Adam, the reason there's such a thing as a mySubscriptions.opml file is that Userland Cult members don't know when to stop tinkering and they also worship connectivity. So any kind of new twist on the "blogroll" idea is immediately propogated throughout their part of blogdom. Also, these releases/enhancements are heralded with much fanfare. I've previously speculated if radio users could come up with a way to wire an outline to their toilets they would. Then you could parse it and publish a list of people you take a dump with at the same time. It would be the "myDumplist.ompl" or something. I'm giving them a hardtime, of course. No serious animosity intended. They're just weird. People like me need to point out how funny they are.

June 19, 2003 9:10 PM

Scott's grabbing the opml feed as a way of finding links to blogs that Feedster doesn't know about. I understand that completely. And some people do post a mySubscriptions.opml even if they don't use Radio. The opml format has been adopted as a standard way to import and export aggregator subscriptions, and some people that want to maintain Radio compatibility name their opml file mySubscriptions.opml even if they don't use Radio. I can understand why Scott is looking for the files and it makes sense, but I wish there was a way to do it without using brute force and just guessing URLs. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm sure Scott would be interested in hearing it.

Phillip Harrington
June 20, 2003 9:20 PM

Can't this be described as some form of LINK rel="Alternate"?

June 20, 2003 10:33 PM

Not a bad idea, but you'd probably want to use <link rel="meta" ... /> instead of "alternate" because the opml isn't an alternate form of the page contents. The other problem is support. Even if this were to take off, it would be some time before most blogs had the appropriate link tag in their content. So Scott would still need to grab the opml a different way for most sites for the time being.

Trackback from Jim Mangan's Weblog
June 21, 2003 1:25 PM

OMPL Surfaces

Excerpt: Not Radio :: Kalsey Consulting Group To the person who's trying a variety of URLs to find mySubscriptions.opml on my...

• Pitching Bloggers Forget what you learned in your PR classes. Start acting like a human instead of a marketer, and the humans behind the blogs will respond.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.

How the Sales organization in a large company slows innovation (Nov 16)
If you have a new innovative product inside a large established company, it can be much harder to reach product market fit than it would be for the same product in a startup.
Networking as an entrepreneur (Oct 23)
Having a network is crazy important. Networking is not.
Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.

Elsewhere