CSS tabs with Submenus

This article is over 11 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

There’s lots of talk recently about creating tabbed menus with CSS, but very little about associating submenus to the tabs. Joshua Kaufman and Richard Rutter have done it, but their methods require the creation of separate unordered lists that are only associated with the parent menu by the CSS. If you view the page without the stylesheet — with a screen reader for example — the navigation is confusing and impossible to decipher.

I created a method of adding submenus to your tabbed navigation in which the submenu lists are nested into the parent navigation list list. So anyone not using CSS will see a menu that looks like…

• Home
  • About Us
    • People
    • Careers
  • Contact Us

… and everyone else will see a tabbed menu like …

Screen capture of CSS tabs

I’ve put up a demo page for your enjoyment.

Update: I forgot to mention: please feel free to use the code and mangle or adapt it as needed. If you use it would be nice if you’d tell me where. I’m just curious where it ends up.

Carsten Kollmeier
February 9, 2007 12:39 AM

Hi! Your tabs navigation is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! But I figured out some more: To do an easier positioning of the submenu, I put the whole tab-menu into a div-container with the property "position: relative". Now all enclosed tags with the property "position: absolute" are positioned relatively to the enclosing div. For explorer to work, you have to give the uppermost ul the property "position: static", because explorer otherwise seems to inherit the "position" property from the enclosing div. Furthermore I enhanced your menu to allow some javascript navigation. See yourself at http://neu.nabeba.de I'm planing to document this stuff a bit more understandable as soon as I find the time.

JM
February 22, 2007 3:20 PM

Your Tabs Rock!

Carsten Kollmeier
March 12, 2007 7:07 AM

Hi again! Unfortunatly the javascript-enhance tabs-navigation I mentioned two posts before is not found under the old URL. This is because it's the location where I test new stuff before implementing it at the live site. IF you are interested how the javascript stuff looks like: http://www.nabeba.de . Still, I did not find the time to write a brief tutorial.

youn
May 4, 2007 10:58 AM

i saw some of these tabs on a jeans and clothing website luxuriousgear.com

Vent Swap
May 4, 2007 5:40 PM

I've tried your demo but it breaks up in IE7

Jon
June 14, 2007 6:11 PM

Am about to embed your tabs (sans sub-menus) in a brand new time-clock product -- you know, the kind in so many warehouses that employees use to punch in / out. The clock features an embedded web server. The product is distributed through major retailers (e.g. Best Buy, Costco, etc.). If it passes our cross-browser testing, it ships ;-) Good work on keeping things simple and elegant. Thanks.

IE7 Fix
June 18, 2007 2:39 AM

To make the submenus look good in IE7, change the css rules that go: body.section-1 #menu ul#subnav-1, etc., change: top: 95px to: top: 100px. Obviously, this will change the way things look in other browsers, so this is not the final solution. Hopefully someone will be able to use this lead to fix the stylesheet.

Avinash Kachhy
August 29, 2007 2:20 PM

I am trying to display a div a ta time on a single html page using css tabs and a javascript function to unhide the correct div and hide the other divs. It works fine but the first time the page loads, all the tabs are in the inactive style. I cannot use the body style for showing the correct active tab. I need to have the left most tab show as active when the page loads but behave as any other tab once any other tab is clicked. I tried generating a click event to change the background on load event, etc. but the display is not affected. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

E_McC
February 1, 2008 4:28 AM

I am trying to re create the tabs but only want the sub nav as the main nav. I want to know what type of files as the tools/csstabs/1 , /2, /3 and /4? are they just seperate CSS files? Also I don't want to go to a new page everytime you click one of the buttons. I just want the text to change? Could you help me out with this matter? Thanks

Nutan
December 13, 2008 3:42 AM

Your tab menu is very useful but yet i can't create menu in which i can show link which is visited in different color as that of other links. how can i do that? can u help me?

Owolabi
June 15, 2009 1:05 AM

I would have loved to use the css sample code to imbibe to my website but could not see it downloaded. Can you send it to my mail please? Thanks

Angela
August 14, 2009 12:01 PM

The subnav items are floating above the page in the banner area, what have i done wrong? is it because i added floating pictures?

Rayane
October 31, 2009 12:31 AM

Thanks for this code, could any one send the zip file into my mail: aburayane@gmail.com, can't find the download link. Thanks in advance

shaikh farhan
March 1, 2010 2:43 AM

Hi for where to get the code for this thanks

shaikh farhan
March 1, 2010 2:43 AM

Hi form where to get the code for this thanks

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 117 comments here.

Aereo: a parable (Jun 26)
Here's why people who understand both technology and copyright law think the Supreme Court's Aereo decision defies common sense.
The birth of cubicle hell (Apr 29)
Where do cubicles come from?
Double Opt-In helps you (Apr 2)
A simple reason why double opt-in is a good thing for marketers.
Make the most of opportunities (Mar 5)
Often, part of success is being in the right place at the right time. What will you do with the opportunity when it happens?
Email as a model for future mobile phone service (Feb 10)
What if your phone wasn't tied to your phone number?
MySQL inadequecies (Feb 9)
This guy seriously hates MySQL and helps you understand how to use it better.
invisible Fence (Mar 22)
The New York Times has a paywall now. Sorta. If you don't choose to ignore it.
Black status icon for Chrometa (Mar 17)
Replacing the status icon of Chrometa

Elsewhere