Comments, please

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’m testing out a new MT plugin that I’ve been working on, and I need your help. Please leave some comments and trackback pings on this entry.

If all goes well, you should see your trackbacks and comments intermingled as a simgle comments list. Since TrackBacks are just comments that were left on a different site, I think the display should be the same. That’s what this plugin does.

Assuming everything works, I’ll be releasing the plugin later this evening, but I need your comments in order to test it.

Trackback from phil ringnalda dot com
February 2, 2003 12:43 PM

MTPingsAndComments

Excerpt: Testing Adam Kalsey's new plugin to intermingle comments and TrackBacks

Phil Ringnalda
February 2, 2003 12:51 PM

Looks like maybe the individual entry page didn't rebuild: main page comment count shows one (I assume from my ping), but I don't see it here.

Phil Ringnalda
February 2, 2003 12:52 PM

Or, rather, I didn't until after I left a local comment that rebuilt the individual entry page.

Trackback from FCD/the weblog
February 2, 2003 1:20 PM

Still fondling

Excerpt: As long as I'm messing around with trackback and the websites of innocents, I may as well add one more

Al
February 2, 2003 1:21 PM

Okey-dokey, as requested a comment. No commentary, just a comment.

Trackback from phil ringnalda dot com
February 2, 2003 1:42 PM

Rebuilding individual archives when pinged

Excerpt: How to hack Movable Type to rebuild individual entry archives when a TrackBack ping is received.

Phil Ringnalda
February 2, 2003 2:17 PM

Release now! Release now! (He said, only so that he could rebuild the page to show his previous ping...) (Also: don't forget to put the plugin in the comment preview template.)

February 2, 2003 5:35 PM

There's several other places I need to change the comments code over to take advantage of this plugin. The preview and the comments XML feed both come to mind. I've thought about configuring MT to rebuild the individual archives when someone sends a TrackBack ping, but my individual entry pages do a lot of processing and it take too long to rebuild. Pretty much every ping would time out. Maybe I can set MT up to fork a rebuild process when someone pings.

February 2, 2003 6:27 PM

SimpleComments is out. See http://kalsey.com/2003/02/simplecomments/

Trackback from A young man's Site Log
February 4, 2003 7:36 AM

Mixing comments the right way

Excerpt: Simple Comments = Simply beautiful. Thank you. Thanks Phil for the link. Thanks Adam for the work.

David Blangstrup
February 18, 2003 3:13 AM

You say, that you don't have to learn any new MTtags. Seems to me there's a lot of tags to be implemented???

February 18, 2003 8:09 AM

There's a container tag that replaces MTComments and a tag that replaces MTEntryCommentCount. There's two conditional tags that you can use if you want, but you could create a tmplate without them if you wanted. I'm sorry that seems like a lot of tags to you. The idea is that you don't need to learn a new way of displaying comments. Just put your existing comment and TrackBack templates inside the new container tag, and you're set.

Fil
April 4, 2003 11:28 PM

Testing Adam's comments.

• Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • The mouse and me Not only is the mouse very destructive, but it's evaded all attempts to capture or kill it so far.
  • Embrace the medium The Web is different than print, television, or any other medium. To be successful, designers must embrace those differences.
  • Let it go Netscape 4 is six years old.
  • Newly Digital Newly Digital is an experimental writing project. I've asked 11 people to write about their early experiences with computing technology and post their essays on their weblogs. So go read, enjoy, and then contribute. This collection is open to you. Write up your own story, and then let the world know about it.

Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.
Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.

Twitter, etc: akalsey