Block Outlook receipts

This article is over 15 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Microgarden Outlook Tools contains an option that lets you block read receipts. Outlook lets you block read receipts on Internet mail, but automatically processes the receipts when you are connected to an Exchange server. This tool will let you block all read receipts and protect your privacy.

Quadsk8
August 24, 2002 4:50 AM

Off Topic: your banner pic doesn't work (RSS feeds) http://www.kalsey.com/images/kalseybanner.gif On topic: Can you not simply opt in Outlook for notifcation before sending any receipts? Lawrence

August 24, 2002 6:52 AM

That only works for Internet mail accounts. If you are receiving your mail through an Exchange server, the process read receipt option doesn't work. In fact, in Outlook XP, the settings dialog says "Use this option to decide how to respond to requests for read receipts. Only applies to Internet Mail accounts."

August 24, 2002 6:57 AM

I just checked the RSS banner and it looks fine. Have you noticed the problem more than once? Maybe there was a network problem that prevented you from getting the file.

Quadsk8
August 24, 2002 9:08 AM

Just one time (both in IE and FeedReader), it's working now. Isn't MS nice with these documented unfeatures as opportunities for plugin writers? :-) Lawrence

Jim R
September 22, 2003 7:06 AM

I connect to an Exchange server, and until recently I had Outlook XP which had been upgraded from 2000 (I don't know for sure if there had been a previous upgrade to get it up to 2000), and I was able to choose read-receipt options (I chose "ask me" so I could send them to colleagues and not to spammers). My company just got me a new PC with a clean install of Outlook XP, and now those options are greyed-out, as you indicate. What are the odds that I could get the old functionality back if I got my IT folks to redo my Outlook with the old version and then upgrade it? By the way, I would guess based on the content of your site that you wouldn't spam me or or sell my address, but I couldn't find a privacy policy. Please don't e-mail me unless it's in reply to this posting.

Bharani
December 9, 2004 2:09 AM

Hai I am Bharani I am using a mail client of "Microsoft Outlook" i need a software or option to block the read receipts which are requested for me, some thing like firewall while the receipt is going out it should confirm once with us for delivery if we are clicking "Access" it should go out or other wise "Deny" to cancel the receipt. Can any have such software.Please help me.

• Google on the desktop Google picks up Picasa, giving them an important foothold on people's PCs.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.

Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?

Elsewhere