Block Outlook receipts

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Microgarden Outlook Tools contains an option that lets you block read receipts. Outlook lets you block read receipts on Internet mail, but automatically processes the receipts when you are connected to an Exchange server. This tool will let you block all read receipts and protect your privacy.

Quadsk8
August 24, 2002 4:50 AM

Off Topic: your banner pic doesn't work (RSS feeds) http://www.kalsey.com/images/kalseybanner.gif On topic: Can you not simply opt in Outlook for notifcation before sending any receipts? Lawrence

August 24, 2002 6:52 AM

That only works for Internet mail accounts. If you are receiving your mail through an Exchange server, the process read receipt option doesn't work. In fact, in Outlook XP, the settings dialog says "Use this option to decide how to respond to requests for read receipts. Only applies to Internet Mail accounts."

August 24, 2002 6:57 AM

I just checked the RSS banner and it looks fine. Have you noticed the problem more than once? Maybe there was a network problem that prevented you from getting the file.

Quadsk8
August 24, 2002 9:08 AM

Just one time (both in IE and FeedReader), it's working now. Isn't MS nice with these documented unfeatures as opportunities for plugin writers? :-) Lawrence

Jim R
September 22, 2003 7:06 AM

I connect to an Exchange server, and until recently I had Outlook XP which had been upgraded from 2000 (I don't know for sure if there had been a previous upgrade to get it up to 2000), and I was able to choose read-receipt options (I chose "ask me" so I could send them to colleagues and not to spammers). My company just got me a new PC with a clean install of Outlook XP, and now those options are greyed-out, as you indicate. What are the odds that I could get the old functionality back if I got my IT folks to redo my Outlook with the old version and then upgrade it? By the way, I would guess based on the content of your site that you wouldn't spam me or or sell my address, but I couldn't find a privacy policy. Please don't e-mail me unless it's in reply to this posting.

Bharani
December 9, 2004 2:09 AM

Hai I am Bharani I am using a mail client of "Microsoft Outlook" i need a software or option to block the read receipts which are requested for me, some thing like firewall while the receipt is going out it should confirm once with us for delivery if we are clicking "Access" it should go out or other wise "Deny" to cancel the receipt. Can any have such software.Please help me.

• The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Where do the RSS ad startups fit in? Yahoo's RSS advertising service could spell trouble for pure-play RSS advertising services unless they adapt their business model.
  • The importance of being good Starbucks is pulling CD burning stations from their stores. That says something interesting about their brand.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.

One on One meetings for managers: Frequency and Duration (Nov 28)
How long should your 1:1s be? How often should you run them?
One on One meetings for managers (Nov 26)
A one on one meeting is one of the top ways you can build your managerial leverage
How the Sales organization in a large company slows innovation (Nov 16)
If you have a new innovative product inside a large established company, it can be much harder to reach product market fit than it would be for the same product in a startup.
Networking as an entrepreneur (Oct 23)
Having a network is crazy important. Networking is not.
Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.

Elsewhere