Nationwide Do Not Call List

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Computerworld: FTC wants national 'do not call' list to stop telemarketers. Under the system, consumers could place their phone number in a national registry, making it illegal for telemarketers to call them.

R MArtin
November 24, 2002 8:24 AM

The FTC is not going far enough with this process. The fine against Telemarketers who illegally call residents listed on the "Do not Call List" should be very very high...even to the point of bankrupting the Telemarketing organization at fault. In other words....Make an example of them. Show them that the law is the law and if you break it, you WILL PAY. (there is not enough of that these days.) Furthermore, a sizable percentage (or all) of the fine should be payable directly to the Resident or Residents whose privacy was violated, with no restrictions on the number of agencies that the Resident(s) can file suit against. Lets bankrupt this corrupt system, and put the power of our Freedom back into the hands of the consumer. Finally, an addition to this law should be that NO organization may have selling rights to a persons name or namesake. I.E no company can have my name on a list that they sell and make a profit from without MY express consent and DUE compensation.

December 19, 2002 11:29 PM

The official site for the national do not call list is at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/index.html

john
December 21, 2002 5:27 AM

Accidently ran across this article just a couple of hours after writing up some of my own thoughts on the topic. http://www.johnsjottings.com/archives/000043.html

Conrad G. Ortega
March 26, 2003 5:49 AM

We have a new baby in the house and the telemarketers phone calls are constantly waking him. Additonally, our family time, as we call our super/dinner time, is constantly being interrupted. If I want someone to call me I will provide them with my name and phone number. If I do not specifically ask you to call me do not call! I consider this an invasion of my privacy which I am entitled too especially in my own home! Stop calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aldrich & Utter families
February 8, 2006 2:48 PM

Please take our phone number off the telemarketers calling lists.

Oneida Benjamin
June 23, 2006 9:19 AM

We get anywhere from 25-30 calls a day starting at 9am in the morning until 10pm at night. This is very annoying and disruptive. If I want to purchase/donate something I will do it myself.

pdenhartog
January 9, 2009 8:39 AM

get too many calls Nobdy there like it too stop

• Google on the desktop Google picks up Picasa, giving them an important foothold on people's PCs.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.

Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?

Elsewhere