Nationwide Do Not Call List

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Computerworld: FTC wants national 'do not call' list to stop telemarketers. Under the system, consumers could place their phone number in a national registry, making it illegal for telemarketers to call them.

R MArtin
November 24, 2002 8:24 AM

The FTC is not going far enough with this process. The fine against Telemarketers who illegally call residents listed on the "Do not Call List" should be very very high...even to the point of bankrupting the Telemarketing organization at fault. In other words....Make an example of them. Show them that the law is the law and if you break it, you WILL PAY. (there is not enough of that these days.) Furthermore, a sizable percentage (or all) of the fine should be payable directly to the Resident or Residents whose privacy was violated, with no restrictions on the number of agencies that the Resident(s) can file suit against. Lets bankrupt this corrupt system, and put the power of our Freedom back into the hands of the consumer. Finally, an addition to this law should be that NO organization may have selling rights to a persons name or namesake. I.E no company can have my name on a list that they sell and make a profit from without MY express consent and DUE compensation.

December 19, 2002 11:29 PM

The official site for the national do not call list is at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/index.html

john
December 21, 2002 5:27 AM

Accidently ran across this article just a couple of hours after writing up some of my own thoughts on the topic. http://www.johnsjottings.com/archives/000043.html

Conrad G. Ortega
March 26, 2003 5:49 AM

We have a new baby in the house and the telemarketers phone calls are constantly waking him. Additonally, our family time, as we call our super/dinner time, is constantly being interrupted. If I want someone to call me I will provide them with my name and phone number. If I do not specifically ask you to call me do not call! I consider this an invasion of my privacy which I am entitled too especially in my own home! Stop calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aldrich & Utter families
February 8, 2006 2:48 PM

Please take our phone number off the telemarketers calling lists.

Oneida Benjamin
June 23, 2006 9:19 AM

We get anywhere from 25-30 calls a day starting at 9am in the morning until 10pm at night. This is very annoying and disruptive. If I want to purchase/donate something I will do it myself.

pdenhartog
January 9, 2009 8:39 AM

get too many calls Nobdy there like it too stop

• The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Where do the RSS ad startups fit in? Yahoo's RSS advertising service could spell trouble for pure-play RSS advertising services unless they adapt their business model.
  • The importance of being good Starbucks is pulling CD burning stations from their stores. That says something interesting about their brand.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.

One on One meetings for managers: Frequency and Duration (Nov 28)
How long should your 1:1s be? How often should you run them?
One on One meetings for managers (Nov 26)
A one on one meeting is one of the top ways you can build your managerial leverage
How the Sales organization in a large company slows innovation (Nov 16)
If you have a new innovative product inside a large established company, it can be much harder to reach product market fit than it would be for the same product in a startup.
Networking as an entrepreneur (Oct 23)
Having a network is crazy important. Networking is not.
Stretching your team (Jun 11)
Stretching your team is one of the best ways to improve your output, your team's happiness, and your velocity. But they'll need coaching.
Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.

Elsewhere