XML News

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I’ve been screwing around with XML newsfeeds to create a custom news site (no longer online). Nothing fancy, just a little something to make it easier for me to get my daily fix of useless information.

I found a couple of great sites that provide news headlines for free. All links click through to the news sites, so they don’t lose any money. Of what I’ve seen, News Is Free has the most headlines categorized by source. ISyndicate also has a free service that’s a good source of news, and Moreover has some great edited newsfeeds grouped by topic.

What I can’t seem to find is a weather feed or a stock feed. I can’t beleive none of the weather sites have put up an XML feed. Pass the ZIP code as a parameter to the URL, and a short weather forcast is returned. Same for stocks. Send a ticker symbol, and both the current price and day’s change are returned.

If you know of a feed like this, let me know.

Bob Hughes
September 8, 2004 2:27 PM

These are about the worse RSS feeds I've seen. All, require pay, and registration... do you get a cut?

September 8, 2004 2:31 PM

When the blog entry was writen 4 years ago most of those services were free.

brian
November 22, 2004 12:47 AM

Weather.com has a developer service where a person can develop their own code to display weather.com xml services on personal websites. I believe there is a traffic limitation but if the information is cached locally it should be no problem for high traffic sites. http://www.weather.com/services/xmloap.html

Chuck
June 10, 2005 10:05 AM

weather.gov has free weather feeds in .xml format: http://weather.gov/data/current_obs/

nucleocide
June 18, 2007 11:41 AM

How can a blog post so old be the #1 hit on Google? Kudos

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere