Hiccup remedies

This article is over 11 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Slight departure here from the usual fare, but does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting rid of hiccups?

I’ve been suffering for most of two days with constant, violent hiccups. It’s gotten to the point that my gut hurts from all the spasms. It’s even painful to breathe.

I’ve tried all the traditional remedies; getting startled, drinking upside down, holding my breath, plugging my ears and swallowing. Some of this has worked to varying degrees, but the dang things keep coming back.

(Now watch, I’ll have the number one site for hiccup remedies in Google within the week.)

*Hic*

Cindy
November 9, 2007 2:41 PM

Drink a cup/glass of water with a paper towel covering the rim.

Ev
November 14, 2007 12:03 PM

A friend told me this one years ago and it has worked every time I've used it. Sit upright in a chair with your arms hanging down to your side. Have someone hold a cup of water to your mouth and take 3-5 drinks. Abracadabra, they're gone!

rachel
December 10, 2007 7:17 PM

okay i am one of those unlucky people who has had hiccups since before i was born. NOTHING works. i did however look up shis site and they were gone.

j-bird
February 29, 2008 11:08 PM

ive had the hiccups for days. it got me so pissed off that i punched myself in the chest,hard, it worked!

Ashley
September 7, 2008 3:42 PM

THANK YOU!!! Someone please explain to me why the paper towel thing works! I have been using that remedy with perfect results since I was in elementary school! I'm now 24 and it has worked every single time. I am not superstitious, it doesn't work because I BELIEVE it works, it just works... Why?!?!?!?!

Christene
February 18, 2009 12:11 PM

I have hiccupped every (that im sure of) since my freshman year of 04. Its not many. just one or two every half hour at the least. sometimes id hiccup two times and wont hiccup for another four hours. but its a re accuring thing. and its driving me crazy. I feel like i have to explain myself everytime someone thinks ive been drinking. (im a waitress) sometimes people thinks its funny, but other times people really do think ive been drinking. but thats besides the point, it really hurts when i get them in consecutive times. over and over. or if i miss a hiccup - if that makes since - where you burp at the same time or have your mouth closed. is there like some sort of normal or abnormal cure for this? and seriously..dont ask for me to hold my breath..cause that wont work. lol

Uthpala
June 16, 2009 11:44 PM

Dear James, I am writing to you reguarding your comment on December 3, 2005 12:06 AM My father is sufferring from hiccups since 2 back.It happens in a 10 day cycle of hiccups + vommiting.then the next 10 days are totally normal.Done various medical tests and treatments...but couldnt find a cure... this is a rare instance that match with my fathers illness.I would like to contact you ASAP.please reply me ... isuranga@gmail.com thank you!

Mitchell
September 4, 2009 4:34 PM

Heres what works.1/2 a spoon of salt on your tongue,mouthful of water,gargle 30-60 seconds.Ive used it many times without a failure.

tylena
August 29, 2010 7:36 PM

plug both nostrils with the only the tips of your fingers and lick both of your lips with only the tips of your tongue.

eric
January 7, 2011 8:03 PM

Paper towel over the rim of the cup just worked for me. I tried it out of desperation thinking it was just stupid and i was going to laugh at myself for even trying but it really worked almost immediately.

Tina
January 20, 2011 10:44 AM

most remedies that help are all because of holding your breath. this slows down your breathing and restarts it easing the diaphragm spasm. you may just simply think, why doesn't it work when i hold my breath but these other ones do? well doing those other random things takes your mind off the hiccups by either using another part of your body or giving you a different sensation as a means of distraction. 9 sips of water works best for me. 1 sip, swallow, 2 sip, swallow... :D

Tom
March 31, 2011 4:17 PM

To Mitchell, your Salt solution worked perferctly!!!! Tastes horrible but got rid of my annoying hickup after the second gargle!!! This is the perfect solution!!!!! Thanks so much

David
May 19, 2011 4:48 AM

The Key down the back REALLY works.. I cant actually believe it !! Thanks Zara

chris
June 1, 2011 2:22 PM

It worked, i just read this on the first page as i have had hiccups all day!!! looking for a cure on the old interweb and thought i'd try the first sensible and logical one..................... Sit upright in a chair with your arms hanging down to your side. Have someone hold a cup of water to your mouth and take 3-5 sips...........actually tried it a few times since and it works every time.

julian
March 14, 2012 1:14 AM

i tried every last one of these tricks and not one of them worked at all. i have had hiccups for 5 days now constantly even when i sleep and the longest they stop is for 20 mins on there own.

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 139 comments here.

• The mouse and me Not only is the mouse very destructive, but it's evaded all attempts to capture or kill it so far.
  • Where do the RSS ad startups fit in? Yahoo's RSS advertising service could spell trouble for pure-play RSS advertising services unless they adapt their business model.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.
  • Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.
  • Embrace the medium The Web is different than print, television, or any other medium. To be successful, designers must embrace those differences.

But... schools (Oct 28)
This school alarmism needs to stop. For the children.
Travel weight of coins (Aug 26)
My laptop bag was getting heavy, so I emptied it. Found 115 coins from 6 different countries in there. That will do it.
Aereo: a parable (Jun 26)
Here's why people who understand both technology and copyright law think the Supreme Court's Aereo decision defies common sense.
The birth of cubicle hell (Apr 29)
Where do cubicles come from?
Double Opt-In helps you (Apr 2)
A simple reason why double opt-in is a good thing for marketers.
Make the most of opportunities (Mar 5)
Often, part of success is being in the right place at the right time. What will you do with the opportunity when it happens?
Email as a model for future mobile phone service (Feb 10)
What if your phone wasn't tied to your phone number?
MySQL inadequecies (Feb 9)
This guy seriously hates MySQL and helps you understand how to use it better.

Elsewhere