Bloglines and Firefox fix

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

I was trying to use Firefox to read feeds in Bloglines but when I clicked on a feed, nothing would happen. There were no JavaScript errors, no indication that something was wrong, but clicking on a feed simply didn’t work.

According to Bloglines, the problem lies with the Tabbrowser Extensions for Firefox. To fix the problem all you need to do is add a line to your prefs.js. The easiest way to do this is type about:config in the address bar. That will show your preferences. Then right click and chose to add a new boolean value. For the preference name, enter docshell.frameloadcheck.disabled and then enter "true" for the value. Problem solved.

Alden Bates
August 1, 2004 6:14 PM

Cheers! That's been bugging me for a while now. :)

Eli
August 16, 2004 5:46 PM

Worked like a charm - thanks for posting!

Jeff Minard
August 26, 2004 1:03 AM

Just outta curiosity, have you found anyway to get bloglines to work as a sidebar bookmark in Firefox?

John Sands
August 29, 2004 7:08 PM

Excellent! I've been using the middle button for Bloglines links since I installed Tabbrowser Extensions. I didn't mind the adjustment, but now I want to add the easyGestures pie menu on the middle button. Your tip lets me have all three working correctly - Bloglines, Tabbrowser Extensions and easyGestures. Thanks.

Christian Wilcox
August 30, 2004 6:49 PM

Thanks for the fix!

Greg R.
September 5, 2004 7:00 AM

Kudos! I can't live without Firefox, Tabbrowser Extensions, *or* Bloglines. Since upgrading to Firefox 0.9.3 earlier this weekend, I'd been pulling my hair out because I had to use [shudder] IE to read Bloglines. Thanks!

tatere
September 24, 2004 1:02 AM

Ditto, thank you for figuring this out (how did you figure it out, anyway? just as a future pointer) - I've been playing "let's reinstall Firefox" all friggin' day, and had finally got it to work mostly when I ran into exactly this problem. My head remains unexploded, thanks to this tip. :P

H
October 10, 2004 11:02 AM

Thanks for this. It also works for Mozilla 1.7.3.

Trackback from getting things done, productively
October 17, 2004 9:28 PM

Bloglines & Firefox

Excerpt: I had a vexing problem with this combo, which Tom and others tried to help me resolve. The issue: I'd click a site listed in Bloglines left panel, a new tab would open, but blank. I ensured all extensions were updated, and tried various settings, but t...

Sam
February 21, 2005 7:10 PM

Hey... great fix! I am noticing however, that I have to reset the docshell.frameloadcheck.disabled value every time that I restart Firefox (even though it still says "true"). For some reason, Firefox ignores that value after a restart and has to be reminded that it exists. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced similar? Thanks!

Chase R.
September 1, 2005 12:17 AM

I've tried the fix you suggested, adding the string and changing the value to True. However the problem still occurs. I was putzing around with the settings in TBE and managed to get bloglines to work by changing the "new tab" behavior...however I cannot figure out exactly how I did that, and now I'm back to BL not working anymore. Does anyone know the specific setting that is causing this bug? I have over 150 feeds in bloglines that I read daily, and this is by far the most inconvenient bug i've come across in fireferret yet. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

jay
October 2, 2005 1:23 PM

thank thank thank you...I was about:pull hair out

Gal
December 26, 2005 8:10 AM

I had a similiar problem for months, only my FF kept opening "untitled" tabs in the background... How i got it to work? For me it was simply changing TBE Options->Window Mode from "Use only one ..." to "Use multiple windows normally" (I'd recommend unistalling TBE, making sure bloglines work, installing TBE again and then working your way in the options while verifying that bloglines still works) Thanks for the TBE hint, though!

Cat
March 10, 2006 2:59 AM

Thanks for this great article!!

Suresh Ramaswamy
October 14, 2008 8:09 AM

I had a similar problem and was frustrated looking around for a solution with no avail. I even emailed Bloglines, but they are yet to respond. Then today, I just discovered Bloglines worked fine on my Firefox once I removed the Skype extension for Firefox. So maybe something you could check if some of the add ons are causing this problem as well. Good luck :) !

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 28 comments here.

• Movie marketing on a budget Mark Cuban's looking for more cost effective ways to market movies.
  • California State Fair The California State Fair lets you buy tickets in advance from their Web site. That's good. But the site is a horror house of usability problems.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.

Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.
Do you need a 1:1 if you’re regularly communicating with your team? (Dec 28)
You’re simply not having deep meaningful conversation about the process of work in hallway conversations or in your chat apps.
What agenda items should a manager bring to a 1:1? (Dec 23)
At least 80% of a 1:1 agenda should be driven by your report, but if you also to use this time to work on things with them, then you’ll have better meetings.

Twitter, etc: akalsey