Simpletracks

This article is over 14 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

TrackBack is becoming more popular. It is being used to remotely comment on blogs and as a way of aggregating content from multiple blogs. Newly Digital uses TrackBack to allow anyone to add their stories. The MTAmazon site has a TrackBack repository that lists sites using the plugin. Blogroots Blogpopuli lets people participate in a group blog through TrackBack, and In My Experience has a sidebar that you can ping with your entries.

But what if your blogging tool doesn’t send TrackBack pings? How would you participate in these projects? Enter Simpletracks, a universal TrackBack client. Simply tell it the TrackBack URL you want to ping and fill in your URL, the entry name, and an excerpt.

I’ve tested it against a few different Movable Type TrackBack servers and one non-MT server. Let me know if you find a server that it doesn’t work with.

serotonic
December 29, 2005 8:20 AM

“unrecognized error.” Me, too. Tried to send a Ping several times during the last months - doesn't work. Thanks.

mannelossi
February 25, 2006 4:09 AM

An unrecognized error occured to me, too. (Several times, different blogs.)

Richard Schwartz
March 9, 2006 7:41 AM

Tried to do two trackbacks yesterday. One worked. Hit back button, changed the trackback URL to do the second, got the "five minute" error. Reloaded and tried again, and got the "too quickly" error. Retried several times yesterday, and again today, starting from scratch. Still getting the "too quickly" error.

Mitja
June 13, 2006 6:26 AM

i get the same error too...

Barb
July 9, 2006 2:34 PM

I'm having a problem, at times, sending trackbacks. I haven't sent a trackback since last Thursday. Yet, when I tried to send a trackback this afternoon to a site from Wizbang or this one, it tells me I'm pinging too fast. Yet, it was the very first time in almost 3 days. What is going on, when this happens. It isn't the first time it has happened.

Faultline USA
November 25, 2006 2:46 AM

“unrecognized error.” Me, too. Tried to send a Ping several times during the last months - doesn’t work.

Saltation
January 31, 2007 7:29 PM

dude! first off, (overdue) THANKS for both your PingOMatic and your Trackbacks tools. legend efforts and public-spiritednesses, both. but i just noticed, due to a copypaste bollox-up, a tiny oddity in your trackback code which you might like to think about. Leading Whitespace in (at least) the "Trackback URL" field is interpreted as a newline ("\n") and returns an error. you might like to put a s/^[ \t]*// in there. (offered in the spirit of helping a community-minded coder improve code communityly, not whinging)

FSBO
February 28, 2007 3:45 AM

I see: "An unrecognized error occured." What is this?

Diane Clancy
April 18, 2007 10:04 AM

capatcha check isn't visible ~ Diane Clancy

Diane Clancy
April 19, 2007 9:47 AM

I still am having problems with this ... if I use my website and the entry url it goes through. When I use the post I am trying a trackback about, it won't go through. that is when it wants the captcha check. Also I got an unrecognized error one time ... just confused! ~ Diane Clancy

James I Fraser
July 21, 2007 4:13 AM

The link 'Church language - world's worst practice' takes me to the Melbourne Anglican news and media site. Is a direct link still available please? James

Netin
January 25, 2008 4:42 AM

hey Adam, Great work all over, I have been working for weeks on a Trackback System on our Blog http://www.bhopu.com and in the meanwhile during the initial runs of the trackback at my side your Simpletracks has been great. It worked without me need to scratching my head until I provided my weblogz trackback ping url once (after working correctly one time). Maybe your mechanism doesn't send pings with standard parameter case, i.e. - new written blog's Title as "title", permalink as "url", Referenced Blog Entry Title as "blog_name", ID of Referenced Blog as "id", and Content of new written Entry as excerpt. Pardon me as I am little novice to this development field but can you please recheck your field's names' used in the SendPing Method of yours.

January 25, 2008 7:51 AM

Netin: Since Simpletracks has been used thousands of times per day with dozens of blogging systems for 5 years, it's unlikely that the problem with your fields is on my end. Try reading the [Trackback spec](http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec) and you'll see that "id" isn't a valid field. So if you're expecting a trackback tool to send it, you're not going to find much success.

Gargron
June 25, 2008 10:28 AM

Great tool, dude! My server doesn't support HTTP connections, so I've lived without trackbacks and pings till found your script. Thank you, man!

apnerve
February 24, 2009 9:02 AM

Wow! Its awesome. I use blogger which doesn't have a pingback support. After trying various method, I found out simpletracks. Thanks a lot for creating it. \m/

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 68 comments here.

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere