Free FON router

This article is over 10 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

To increase their user base, FON has tried a number of things, including selling them for $5 and giving a bunch away on the streets of San Francisco. Now they’re giving existing FON customers the ability to invite their friends into the network. Invited friends get a free account. I’ve been running a FON router for a few months and have three invitations for free La Fonera routers.

en_logoFon.png La Fonera is slightly larger than a deck of playing cards and has a single antenna. Installing it is simple. Plug in power and connect the single ethernet port to your existing home network or broadband modem. You’ll find two different wireless networks, a private net and the open public net. The setup will ask a few configuration questions and you’re then online.

My Fonera router interferes with the 2.4 Ghz cordless phone on my desk. I hear a constant quiet clicking sound any time La Fonera is turned on. Two other wireless routers sitting in the same place on the desk do not cause this interference. A question to FON about this problem has gone unanswered for well over a week.

Fon might be a good way for you to add wifi to a location that doesn’t already have one. I’ve added wifi points at several family members houses so I can have access when I’m there. Installing a La Fonera router would have been a cheaper and easier way to do this. The cordless phone interference is a concern however.

J5
December 23, 2006 9:57 AM

Hi. It' possible to have one Fonera invitation? Thanks...

December 27, 2006 3:49 PM

Sorry, folks, I'm not giving out routers. I was simply reporting on FON's new marketing ploy.

mike
February 9, 2007 5:33 PM

have you tried changing the wireless channel on either the phone and/or the access point?

rob
February 19, 2007 11:36 AM

i have no internet connection at home but will i be able to access the internet at home if i had the la fonera router

bigmini
February 22, 2007 2:51 PM

Fon Is meant to piggy back on your existing Internet connection so the answer is no, but if you would like an invite for the free router drop me an email @ Gmail bigmincooper I have one invite to give away

lkjlkjljkjkl
February 22, 2007 4:10 PM

Fon is just a gimmick for a new profit-seeking company. If you want to contribute to the society that you live in, work towards a truly free internet community. It is simple to take the fon technology and build a new, more free technology on top of it. Watch for this. The rhetoric of the fon "movimiento" is pure bs, and you shouldn't buy into it. Don't be another sucker!

wookie of happiness
April 13, 2007 3:33 PM

make the fon not-suck by slapping on DD-WRT firmware instead http://dd-wrt.com

• Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.
  • The best of 2006 I wrote a lot of drivel in 2006. Here's the things that are less crappy than the rest.
  • Rounded corners in CSS There lots of ways to create rounded corners with CSS, but they always require lots of complex HTML and CSS. This is simpler.
  • Debunking predictions Read/Write Web's authors have some goofy predictions.

Physical camera shutter for Cisco Spark Board (Jul 6)
A 3d printable design for a camera shutter for a Cisco Spark Board
My Travel Coffee Setup (Jan 20)
What my travel coffee brewing setup looks like, and how you can build your own for under $100.
Turkey Legs (May 30)
Product naming gone awry.
Speaking for Geeks: Your Slides (Dec 17)
Tips and tricks for creating great slides.
Speaking for Geeks: Writing Your Talk (Dec 14)
Don’t wait until the night before the talk to write it. Crazy, I know.
Speaking for Geeks: Tell a Story (Dec 13)
Telling a story keeps your presentation focused, keeps your audience interested, and makes it easier for you to remember your talk.
Speaking for Geeks: Where to speak (Dec 11)
You've got a great idea for a talk. How do you find conferences to submit it to?
Speaking for Geeks: Getting your session accepted (Dec 10)
Your conference speaking submissions are not getting accepted because they're bad. Here's how to make them better.

Elsewhere