Sticking Spacebar on my PowerBook

This article is over 13 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

The space bar on my PowerBook has been sticking as long as I can remember — perhaps it came like that, I don’t recall. The key only travelled about halfway down; sometimes it added a space, sometimes it didn’t. I tried all the various recomendations I’d found online: vaccuuming the keyboard, shaking it upside down, and a few other odd ones. Nothing worked.

Today I got annoyed with it enough that I just pushed down really hard. I heard a “crack” and a bunch of spaces appeared on the screen. The spacebar now works just fine. Whatever was causing it to stick has been broken, pulverized, pushed aside, or otherwise rendered harmless.

I don’t know why it worked, what was causing it to stick, or if you’ll have the same results. If you choose this course of action, you’re on your own. If your keyboard breaks or your laptop begins to emit a foul odor, don’t hold me responsible.

Hugh
February 13, 2006 9:04 AM

I've had my infant son pull the keys off my keyboard and few times and had to perform the push-crack a few times as well. I've noticed that there is a hook for part of the connector that should be slid underneath first.

Aaron
August 12, 2006 9:43 PM

The push-down-really-hard method works miracles.

tom
August 28, 2006 12:09 PM

hey i just did the same thing and it worked. awesome. thanks for the advice. this is a dell though, so it must work for all sticky laptop space bars.

James
October 13, 2006 6:38 PM

You have rediscovered the fix we used to apply to ADM-3's back in the day.

jim
March 14, 2007 11:51 PM

wow just tried the push really hard and it's seemed to completely fix my problem. the spacebar feels really smooth!

Bob
January 10, 2008 12:31 AM

My Left arrow key has been sticking for a while, this method hasn't 100% cured the key, but it operating at a nice 90%. Thanks a lot Adam and your Neanderthalian logic!

Anon
October 22, 2008 6:37 AM

My space bar is now cured! Such a simple thing for a really annoying problem! Thanks

Karen
October 12, 2009 8:43 PM

Yeap! This amazing technique works :-) Thanks!

Devon Mercurious
March 4, 2010 2:13 PM

I have a powerbook G4 This is my problem My spacebar wnt work at all except I press the command or ap[ple key while pressing it then it work how do i correct this ? Thanks Guys

sam
June 30, 2011 8:00 PM

Yeeeaaah i tried it, i dont have to press as hard but still hard enough to anger me lol

sam
June 30, 2011 8:00 PM

• Lock-in is bad T-Mobile thinks they'll get new Hotspot customers with exclusive content and locked-in devices.
  • The importance of being good Starbucks is pulling CD burning stations from their stores. That says something interesting about their brand.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.
  • Where do the RSS ad startups fit in? Yahoo's RSS advertising service could spell trouble for pure-play RSS advertising services unless they adapt their business model.
  • Simplified Form Errors One of the most frustrating experiences on the Web is filling out forms. When mistakes are made, the user is often left guessing what they need to correct. We've taken an approach that shows the user in no uncertain terms what needs to be fixed.

Dysfunctions of output-oriented software teams (Sep 17)
Whatever you call it, the symptom is that you're measuring your progress by how much you build and deliver instead of measuring success by the amount of customer value you create.
Evaluative and generative product development (Aug 30)
Customers never even talk to the companies that don't fit their needs at all. If the only product ideas you're considering are those that meet the needs of your current customers, then you're only going to find new customers that look exactly like your current customers.
Product Manager Career Ladder (Aug 19)
What are the steps along the product management career path?
Building the Customer-Informed Product (Aug 15)
Strong products aren't composed of a list of features dictated by customers. They are guided by strong visions, and the execution of that vision is the primary focus of product development.
Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s