Wrong Number?

This article is over 16 years old. It's possible that the information you read below isn't current.

Could someone explain this? I’ve gotten occasional calls where a man’s voice says "I’m sorry, I must’ve dialed the wrong number." and then immediately hangs up. The voice sounds slightly artificial in its tone and pacing, and the voice is always exactly the same. In the last two days, I’ve gotten two of these calls. Over the last few months, I can recall several others.

I suspect it’s some sort of telemarketing autodialer that is hanging up on me because there’s no telemarketer avaialble to make their pitch to me. But instead of simply hanging up, the dialer is using a pretend excuse for disconnecting.

Anyone know what’s going on here?

ablebody
October 30, 2006 4:04 PM

got two of these today as well...the measured voice saying it's sorry and hanging up.

Ticked-in-NGa
October 30, 2006 4:30 PM

Got it here too in North Georgia. 2 times so far today.

Susan
October 30, 2006 4:35 PM

Well this number has been busy today. I've gotten 2 calls in the last 3 hours. I googled the number and it lead me here. Since it's a 800 number I just called it to see what happens and I got voice mail. I was very tempted to leave a message saying "I’m sorry I must have dialed the wrong number".

Dennis
October 30, 2006 4:36 PM

We are in Georgia and have gotten two of these calls today 10/30. Very aggravating since there seems to be a huge gap in the "do not call" list. Ideas anyone?

jnyballgame
October 30, 2006 4:41 PM

Got it several times in the past few days. Called the number back and left message to put me on their do not call list.

CJ
October 30, 2006 4:48 PM

I'm in Atlanta and received two of these calls today. I have filed a complaint with the National Do Not Call Registry.

Rita
October 30, 2006 4:57 PM

October 30, 2006 I've gotten 4 calls in less than 5 hours. I also live in North Georgia. This is becoming very frustrating. I've done the *57 call tracing and also registered a complaint with the do not call registry. Something has to be able to stop this aggravation!

Toenail
October 30, 2006 4:57 PM

We started getting our 800-272-4974 calls this evening. I hope it doesn't go on all night. North Georgia area

Kendan
October 30, 2006 5:01 PM

Same here for Kennesaw, Ga. Got two calls today.

dc
October 30, 2006 5:14 PM

Got two calls this evening here in Southeast Georgia. No luck finding out who it is.

Steph Coleman
October 30, 2006 7:21 PM

These calls are coming from the Washington Political Group. If you google thewpg you'll see a few pages from the web site....including the one mentioned in an earlier post. The link here doesn't work because their website has been taken down...but if you click on the link for the cached page on google you get the 800 number, the address of the crank in Duluth Georgia, his address, email and dell phone number....I may just call this creep tomorrow. I got two of these calls today...but have been getting prerecorded political messages for about a week....an have vowed not to vote for any of the candidates who have had me called!

Stacy
October 31, 2006 7:37 AM

I had 4 of these yesterday (10/30) and also called the number back. I've filed complaints with the dncr and traced it so that the local phone co. could prosecute if it continues. What's weird is that my mom, brother, and myself have received these all yesterday and all within 15-20 mins. of each other. A lot of good the dnc law did, huh? I'm also in n.Ga. I'm with Steph Coleman-no votes for those who have called me. Hopefully someone will put a stop to this!

Doug
October 31, 2006 1:47 PM

I finally let it go to voicemail rather than answer and it was a message for GA state senator Bill Heath.

Rob
November 5, 2006 5:39 PM

These calls are illegal and you can actually make some money from them. There was an article in my local newspaper about them, defining routes you may pursue to not only make them stop, but to seek funds in return in court.

shrekky
November 16, 2007 6:33 AM

yea get calls from one person periodically, always asking for a different name, like is suzy there...yesterday it was a brian. it is the same guy, this is not a telemarketer either, just some person. same voice, i recognized it right away. weird...

These are the last 15 comments. Read all 28 comments here.

• Movie marketing on a budget Mark Cuban's looking for more cost effective ways to market movies.
  • California State Fair The California State Fair lets you buy tickets in advance from their Web site. That's good. But the site is a horror house of usability problems.
  • Customer reference questions. Sample questions to ask customer references when choosing a software vendor.
  • Comment Spam Manifesto Spammers are hereby put on notice. Your comments are not welcome. If the purpose behind your comment is to advertise yourself, your Web site, or a product that you are affiliated with, that comment is spam and will not be tolerated. We will hit you where it hurts by attacking your source of income.

Assumptions and project planning (Feb 18)
When your assumptions change, it's reasonable that your project plans and needs change as well. But too many managers are afraid to go back and re-work a plan that they've already agreed to.
Feature voting is harmful to your product (Feb 7)
There's a lot of problems with using feature voting to drive your product.
Encouraging 1:1s from other managers in your organization (Jan 4)
If you’re managing other managers, encourage them to hold their own 1:1s. It’s such an important tool for managing and leading that everyone needs to be holding them.
One on One Meetings - a collection of posts about 1:1s (Jan 2)
A collection of all my writing on 1:1s
Are 1:1s confidential? (Jan 2)
Is the discussion that occurs in a 1:1 confidential, even if no agreed in the meeting to keep it so?
Skip-level 1:1s are your hidden superpower (Jan 1)
Holding 1:1s with peers and with people far below you on the reporting chain will open your eyes up to what’s really going on in your business.
Do you need a 1:1 if you’re regularly communicating with your team? (Dec 28)
You’re simply not having deep meaningful conversation about the process of work in hallway conversations or in your chat apps.
What agenda items should a manager bring to a 1:1? (Dec 23)
At least 80% of a 1:1 agenda should be driven by your report, but if you also to use this time to work on things with them, then you’ll have better meetings.

Twitter, etc: akalsey